Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Shurayukihime - The Princess Blade

Author Topic: Shurayukihime - The Princess Blade
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-16-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those lovers of the Japanese cinema among you, I thought I should point to this fantastic movie that I saw at the last Berlin Film Festival. I do not know if it has played or will play in the US at all, but if you like Japanese movies, you should really see this.
The title "The Princess Blade" was offered at the Festival and would most likely be the release title in an English speaking country. The original title is quite complex: "shura" means chaotic, uncontrolled energy or action and can also mean carnage, bloodshed. "yuki" means snow and is also the name of the protagonist. "hime" is princess. So, the title can be read as "The Princess Bloody Snow" or "Yuki, the Princess of Bloodshed".
Anyway, the movie combines fantastic Japanes sword action with Chinese style combat choreographed by Donnie Yen who gave Wesley Snipes a hard time in "Blade II". It is about a young girl who belongs to a group of assassins in a Japan sometime in a gloomy, desperate future. There are no science fiction elements at all, everything is just very dark and worn-down. The girl discovers that her mother had been killed by the man who now leads the group. He tries to kill her too but she gets away badly injured. Will she come back to revenge her mother? I won`t tell you here. If you have an opportunity to see this movie, don`t miss it. It is not only a great action movie, but also has a very special, very sinister athmosphere.

[ 11-27-2003, 01:22 AM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 01-17-2003 10:47 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just seen that it is already available on DVD!
There is a new website now: http://www.theprincessblade.com/

This is my desktop at this time:
 -

[ 11-27-2003, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Michael Schaffer ]

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: