Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Kangaroo Jack

Author Topic: Kangaroo Jack
Jason Whyte
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-13-2003 04:20 AM      Profile for Jason Whyte   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Whyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a long-time Film-Tech lurker (and fan), I thought I'd finally jump in on the fun and start ripping on some bad movies. You guys missed some good discussion on Pinocchio last month. (And there's some hilarious bits here too)

From my HTF Movies thread:

I'll just jump in here with a little advance word on the dead-zone Kangaroo Jack, a movie only designed for stupid children who laugh at fart jokes. Originally a "mob comedy" which eventually turned into "A Stupid January Movie", complete with Estella Warren, whom I don't think even her diehard fans would see this one, even if she shows up in a wet t-shirt.

Oh it's all here: the boring widescreen cinematography from the director of "Coyote Ugly", scotch-tape editing with quick cuts and establishing shots, pot-shots taken on Australian accents, bad digital effects work, rapping kangaroos, Jerry O'Connell, and camels passing gas so loud if only to please the sound designers on creating low bass.

The only adult laughter I could find was shots of a dog early on in the film. The dog wasn't doing anything but sitting or moving, so I think some adults just laugh when a dog is on screen.

This isn't as bad as the recent Pinocchio, which a few of my online chat buddies know my thoughts on. Tuna. But as January kids movies go, this is pretty much on the level as what you thought after the trailer or TV spot ended.

PS. Kangaroos aren't funny.

Jason

Quick tech notes: scope 2.39:1, 89min, presented in SR-D. Picture was correct in frame and in focus. Does NOT deserve to be run with FilmGuard. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-20-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. My bad. [Razz]

[ 01-20-2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Mark J. Marshall ]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-20-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was horrified to hear Kangaroo Jack opened in the #1 spot in US box office earnings (according to The Daily Show on Comedy Central which is airing as I type this).

I suppose we can expect much more of this flavor of crap.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 01-21-2003 01:54 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was good in a Saturday Matinee kinda way.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-21-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this at a sneak preview a week before it opened. They must have been handing out passes at a nearby toy store or something, because it was just me and a whole bunch of under-12 kids with their parents. The kids really seemed to love the movie, especially the kangaroo bits. They all seemed to be waiting for the rapping scene from the trailer, and when it arrived, they went nuts.

Pretty good for a kids' flick. Some poor parent a few seats over from me had to explain to his son the meaning of the word "erotic", though. [Big Grin]

EDIT: I should add that I thought the cinematography was far from boring, although seeing a movie shot in "real" scope will always skew my opinion a bit. I was also very impressed with the special effects, supervised by Hoyt Yeatman (who also gave us the amazing effects in Mighty Joe Young).

[ 01-21-2003, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Haney ]

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2003 06:07 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: Dandenong Drive-in Theatre 12 April 2003

Hey guys chill out a bit.

Sure, Australia and Australian culture is portrayed in a very stereotypical fashion but this film is nonetheless entertaining. And the photography of the Australian outback really looked good although I drew the line at some digitally enhanced effects ie the stream in the distance. I thought that was unnecessary.

The bottom line is that this is a KIDS film and they are in to stuff like talking kangaroos and fart jokes. I think the kids will love it. It is sort of like Skippy with a bad attitude.

It is curious to think that it takes an American to make a really popular Australian film!

My 2 year old daughter loved this film and that is good enough for me. Overall I gave it 7.5/10

cheers Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: