Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Catch Me If You Can (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Catch Me If You Can
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 08:00 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say - Frank Abignale is now one of my heroes. I loved this movie from beginning to end. The only thing I wonder - which parts are made up and which parts are real................

Steven Speilberg still kicks ass.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also loved this movie. Di Caprio and Hanks give wonderful performances.

And Dennis, at least according to Spielberg, its all real [Smile] .

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-26-2002 02:03 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an interview with Frank Abagnale, it is all real. There are only two things that are left out of the film:

1. He claimed to have been a professor at Brigham Young University, however no one can verify that, and his recollections of his teaching there are not consistant with the runnings of a private school;

2. The way he was caught...

He was caught at a hot dog stand buying a hot dog when two detectives thought they may have spotted him. They approached him from behind and say "hey frank"... He turned around and said.. "yeah"...

He felt real stupid for that after all he pulled off...

He does however feel no pride for what he did, probably because he was caught and had to do some prison time.

He now works as a security and scam consultant for many fortune 500 companies.

He sold the script for 250 thousand dollars back in the early eighties, thinking what suckers they were. However now he feels that with the money it will surely do, he feels finally the duped one.

But he is not upset, he hopes people see the lines drawn to show that a life on the run really is not all that fun.

Dave

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 12:07 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too loved this movie. I went in expecting a great film being DiCaprio and Hanks directed my Spielberg, and that is definitely what I got. Definitely gonna see this one again......

Its really amazing he was able to accomplish all of this, at his age too.

Steven Privett
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 07:30 PM      Profile for Steven Privett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too watched this film because if Steven and Tom go in and make a bad film, I want to see it. They didn't. I enjoyed the humor, twist and turns in this film. I usually just watch bits and pieces of a film, but i couldn't pull myself from this one.
Now another reason I couldn't pull myself away... when I saw Dicaprio on the phone and big as day it had a modular jack on the receiver. If it was in the 60's this doesn't exist yet. Started looking for mistakes after that. Good film though

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm usually impressed with a Steven Spielberg film, but this one didn't do it for me. The story seemed weak and just wandered its course. I never bought the tie between Frank and his parents. Good acting, but this film was boring to me by the end.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-29-2002 10:19 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If he sold the script nearly 20 years ago for $250,000 that's pretty good money for those days. I wonder why the movie took that long to be made.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2002 06:10 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike asked,
quote:
If he sold the script nearly 20 years ago for $250,000 that's pretty good money for those days. I wonder why the movie took that long to be made.
From what I understand, the book had all these adventures, but no plot. Spielberg said he tried to make it into a 3 or 4 act play. I think that's where all the stuff about Frank's parents came from. Plus, Spielberg didn't want the audience hating Frank since he, essentially, was a con guy.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-30-2002 10:41 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of fun--and a perfect date movie. It wasn't high art, but it didn't pretend to be, either.

In addition to the telephone jack, I was annoyed by a few other goofs/anachonisms:

- when Frank was first trying on the pilot uniform, he told the uniform salesman that he was a "co-pilot," yet the jacket only had two gold stripes on the sleeve, which would indicate "flight engineer" and not "copilot/first officer."

- in the scene where the FBI agents are watching slides, the projector is a modern Kodak xenon model, which wouldn't have been available in the '60s.

- at least one shot of the TWA 707 (which must have been CGI, unless they rented an old 707 and painted it with TWA colors) has the recent TWA paint job, not the TWA "globe" logo on the tail, which would have been in use at the time.

Did anyone else find any other goofs?

Oh, and check out the "edited on the Moviola" credit at the end!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2002 12:35 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh, and check out the "edited on the Moviola" credit at the end!
The Movioloa credit has appeared in other Spielberg films,as his longtime editor Michael Kahn has never made the switch to non-linear (or who prefers the old way of editing).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-31-2002 12:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The January 2003 issue of Millimeter Magazine is scheduled to have an article about Steven Spielberg's love of "FILM" (especially during the hands-on editing process), despite his being one of the pioneers of digital imaging and CGI technology in movies.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-01-2003 12:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give this film 3-starts out of 4.

I enjoyed the film. It did remind me a bit of "THE PRETENDER" with Tony Curtis. (It might be The Great Pretender...).

Ironically for me...I felt this film was well shot (I'm not Steven's biggest fan) and the performances were top notch. I'd probably preferred Matt Damon in the lead roll but Leonardio did fine.

The guy's life is pretty interesting...he stole and had free use of 4-million dollars (in 1960s money), when caught was thrown into prision for a maximum of 12-years but was released early to the FBI where he received a (manditory) job at the FBI, education and honest income which lead to a much more lucritive career.

The guy was clearly very smart for his ability to pull off what he did, to pass the BAR exam with only 2-weeks studying and to teach himself about conterfitting.

Steve

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 11:36 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this film and was on the edge of my seat for most of it...but..
The more I think of it the more it troubles me though. This film really didn't stress enough the downside of being an outlaw. We saw a zillion funny, glamorous, exciting, scenes of life as a crook, but very few of the consequences. We now have a film lesson that shows how you can do deplorable crimes, get away with it, and in the end wind up with a high paying job and a happy family and home life.
I'm sure we will see a rash of copy cats over the next year or so.

There was one part where an overhead mic bobbed down for a second.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The couple that the wife and I went to see this film with remembered that there had been a Tony Curtis film that dealt with an amazingly similar situation. I too had remembered seeing this film although I couldn't remember the particulars. It turns out that It was "The Great Imposter" with Tony Curtis but was released in 1961, before the events of CMIYC. Could TGI been a training film for Frank Abignale Jr?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 01-05-2003 06:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
01/05/2003, Cinemark 17, Spfld OR, #10, 12:35PM, SR•D. Attendance about 200. Not enough light, kind of a milky, diffuse look to the image. Started slightly misframed, about a foot low, was eventually corrected when the feature started. The rolling stock was filthy. Two nasty lab splices that dropped to analog for a couple seconds. The SR•D sound was riddled from start to finish with audible "tics" that other Film-Techers have speculated is probably due to a very high digital data error rate (lots of F's).

Notwithstanding the above, I really enjoyed this. The film contains virtually no "Spielbergisms", those little excesses that he likes to throw in. Leo D-C is quite the charmer on screen -- he may be a butthead in real life, but he can act. Tom Hanks is very good as usual. John Williams' score sounds nothing like one of his typical scores, and that's a good thing. [thumbsup] A good date movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: