Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Pinocchio (2002) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pinocchio (2002)
James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2002 12:56 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one with Roberto Begnini.
This movie BLOWS. [bs] [puke] [sleep] [thumbsdown] [bs] [puke] [sleep] [thumbsdown]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-26-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annoyed Customer: " There's something wrong with your sound system on number 8. It is out of sync with the picture"

Me: "Well, mam, did you know that Pinochio is dubbed into english?"

Customer: "But the sound effects dont seem right either. When the mallet hits to the left of the screen, the sound comes out the right, and delayed abit!'

Me: "Yes, I know mam. Thats they way it's supposed to be. Your movie just sucks. I'm sorry."

-------------

This film has effects and voice dubbed poorly. Theatre 8 is, IMHO, the best sounding theatre in my complex, and does not have any sync problems.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 04:12 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one film that deserves masking tape to be used on the leaders during breakdown [puke] [bs]

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 04:27 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and dirt.
and scratches.
lets all thread this film with the leader all over te floor and over wires without filmguard!
[Big Grin]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 11:00 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AP reviewer's comments about the sound:

quote:
Roberto Benigni spends a lot of time talking with his back to the camera, the better to obscure his lips, the movement of which has no relation ot the sound attributed to them... The near-total disconnect between sound and image is likely to lull even the youngest moviegoers into a stupor... A squirm-a-thon for all ages, with kung fu movie-grade dubbing that's an insult to the craft.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-27-2002 11:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the poor, unfortunate folk brave enough to purchase a ticket for this movie at my poor theater usually end up walking out. Even entire families. And they walk out very early on in the movie.

I watched about 29 seconds of this and was in physical pain. Oh man it is bad! The ONLY reason I am Filmguarding this movie is so that I don't have to clean the projector. But I feel that I owe it to the projector to scrub it down after each show anyway, just because it touched this movie. And I hate my projector. But even this is worse than death for the poor machine.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 12-27-2002 02:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW:

Pinocchio has set a new box office record for Italy in it's first weekend opening, reaping more than $11 million over a three-day period.

Is anyone showing the Digital Cinema version?

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2002 02:50 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John P: The DLP release was canceled. Miramax didn't even screen Pinocchio in advance for critics -- and the movie opened on Xmas Day.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very scary picture of Roberto Benigni on the cover of BOX OFFICE this month.

SO far, ROTTEN TOMATOES has given this picture a perfect rotten score of 0%...that means, of 18 reviews, NONE are positive. Elvis Mitchell in the NY Times said, " "A movie so bad that it quickly enters the pantheon of wreckage that includes Battlefield Earth and Showgirls."

Just for the record, GLITTER had 5% positive, BATTLEFIELD EARTH - 4% and SHOWGIRLS - 5%.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I Guess we Dont Like Italian Movies [Confused]

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-28-2002 08:32 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I don't have to run it. Sounds awful.

About the only movies I thought Roberto was funny in were 'Down By Law' and 'Night on Earth'.

The real reason that the Oscars had to find a new home is that he wrecked the seats at the old venue when he walked over them on his way to the stage.

Joe: ROFL!!! Too funny! [Big Grin]

Quick question, though: which movie is worse...'Pinocchio' or 'On The Line' (starring Lance Bass).

'On the Line' went straight to video in Oz, and we don't have 'Pinocchio' here yet. I was thinking of renting 'On the Line' for a laugh. Is is so bad it's good, or just plain bad?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-28-2002 10:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no, "On the Line" is just plain bad. The only thing even remotely amusing was that main N'Sync guy in the credits acting as a happy cowboy hairdresser. But don't get me wrong here, I'm NOT saying that was very funny or worth sitting through that crappy film.

I've only seen the trailer to this version of Pinocchio, so I can't actually review the movie, but I can review the trailer! Here goes:

NOT IT! (Said in reference to who has to screen it.)

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miramax paid $21M for worldwide (non-Italy) rights. Total US gross on the English-language version: $3.6M.

To make sure this picture has a chance for an Oscar the Weinstein family will have the Italian-language version open in NYC/LA on 2/7. Rules on the foreign-language Oscar are different from regular Oscars, y'know.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To make sure this picture has a chance for an Oscar the Weinstein family will have the Italian-language version open in NYC/LA on 2/7. Rules on the foreign-language Oscar are different from regular Oscars, y'know.
Yes, and opening a commercial run makes no difference for a nomination in the foreign branch. A COMMITTEE sees all foreign submissions at private screenings arranged by THEM. ANd then THEY vote for a list of five films. Then, anyone in the general academy can vote for those five nominations, PROVIDED they see all 5 films. They have to demonstrate that they have indeed seen all of those films, primarily by attending special monitored screenings. Oftentimes most foreign films that end up with a nomination have not been given a regular commercial release, so every film is on an equal footing.

DRAT! Miramax foiled again! [Big Grin]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2003 09:23 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw in the paper today that Miramax is going to release one print in native Italian this Friday somewhere here in L.A. I wonder if that will make the movie any better with the horrible dubbing gone.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: