Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Star Trek: Nemesis (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Trek: Nemesis
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 11:05 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert's review is pretty funny. First paragraph:

quote:
I'm sitting there during "Star Trek: Nemesis," the 10th "Star Trek" movie, and I'm smiling like a good sport and trying to get with the dialogue about the isotronic Ruritronic signature from planet Kolarus III, or whatever the hell they were saying, maybe it was "positronic," and gradually it occurs to me that "Star Trek" is over for me. I've been looking at these stories for half a halftime, and, let's face it, they're out of gas.
The whole review is like that. [Big Grin] Ebert Reviews ST: Nemesis

EDIT: My review is further down in this thread.

|  IP: Logged

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 12:04 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But where is your review?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, somehow I figured you'd be the first to post on this one. [Smile] I was looking forward to seeing your review. Guess I'll have to wait for that. Okay, here goes.

The movie had its good parts and its bad parts. Definitely not the best Star Trek movie. As a whole, it was decent. I have many unanswered questions, which I will wait to post until I see the movie again. I must say, I did not like the desert scene near the beginning. Now, I know virtually nothining about film making, only exhibition. So help me out here. Why did that scene look like parts of the movie Traffic? Was that effect (which I can't really describe too well, but I'm sure someone who knows about film making would know if there is a term for it) created on purpose? If so, why? It just doesn't seem to fit in a Star Trek movie. And why was Data wearing safety glasses? That seemed pretty dumb.

The movie started out pretty slow in my opinion, but it did pick up about halfway through. It wasn't until then that I really started to get into it.

Like I said, not the best Star Trek movie, but certainly a must see for any Trekkie. [Big Grin]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 03:27 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh from the theater and I rate it about a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 on my starstrekkometer. I went into this knowing how the next generation movies all go and didn't compare it to Kirk and boys (The Best). Anyway, the dune buggy scenes were not needed in my opinion as it wasn't necessary to tell the story but hey, I guess they were trying to attract the XXX crowd. The movie tended to drag along in some aspects and for some reason in my later years I tend to get impatient but other than a lot of Psychobabble it was ok. And here’s how it ended.............................................

HA HA!

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 03:31 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was alright. If this is the last of the "Next Generation" films - I am disappointed. I was expecting it to be more profound. I agree with an above post - some elements of the film seemed to be added to appeal to a certain crowd - (XXX, Fast and Furious types) not of the Star Trek mold. Not being a huge Trek fan myself - I was just expecting a whole 'closure' thing that did not happen.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:04 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How many times have we heard "This will be the last film" on start trek?
Time will tell I guess.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-13-2002 07:40 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVED IT! Ok, I am a Star Trek fan but definitely not the biggest! I completely agree that the dune buggy scene was not needed, it just felt out of place in the whole Star Trek routine. It seemed to me that this movie was more geared toward women then all the movies from the past (Might just be me!). Were they trying to use this to attract a new younger, possibly more female crowd? I know that there is a big fan base of women "Trekkies" or "Trekkers" out there but they are not the prevalent geeks! [Big Grin]

I’m proud to be a geek!

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-13-2002 07:46 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMDb states that the original running time of this is supposed to be 2:45 and was cut to 1:35. They apparently cut a lot of footage that was geared to making it a more "mainstream" movie and perhaps answered some of the questions. The uncut version is supposed to be on the DVD release.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 12-13-2002 10:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
where do they get these running times. Nemesis is 117 minutes long and I doubt that they cut very much at all out of this film. And if they did they cut it at the wrong end. Too much lagging in the first 45 minutes. Great sound and visual sequences after that. As far as the Next Generations part in the series. I liked First contact the best Followed by Nemesis then Insurrection and Finaly Generations. Where do they go from here well, the Universe is wide open. In my honest opinion maybe they need to come up with something that doesn't really rely on trying to spin off of another Star Trek T.V. show.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-14-2002 01:51 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I thought that this was the best of the "generations" Star Trek movies. (I'm not the biggest fan of this cast. It just isn't quite Star Trek without William Shatner and his pauses within his dialogue!) I lost track of the numbers after 6, so I don't know if this is #9 or #12, but I have seen them all and definitely found this one the best.

If for no other reason, find a well designed sound system to watch this in. The sound mixers did one helluva fantastic job with this mix. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-14-2002 04:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12/14/2002, 12:15PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #3, digital sound. Attendance about 50. Excellent presentation -- this print really looked sharp and had very little grain (except for the desert scene which was deliberately grainy and washed-out). I did count 4 lab splices though. No dropouts in the digital track.

I can't remember a damn thing about the last couple of NextGen movies -- they were completely forgettable. So I went into this one with very low expectations. Holy Crap! This is actually a good movie. EASILY the best of the NextGen series, and up there with Wrath of Khan. Tom Hardy (who??) made a great villain. The special effects are mostly very good, there's a minimum of clunky dialog which often detracts from Star Trek movies, and the Enterprise crew is in fine form. Excellent sound track too. I am really surprised at how much I liked this, and I will probably see it again. [thumbsup] See it in the best theater you can.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-15-2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kirk would have kicked this guys ass in the first 5 minutes.
......Spoilers.....
First three reels could have been done without. The dune buggy thing was dumb, they could have flown around in the hover craft, I mean shuttle craft, and picked up the pieces. The obligatory wedding/bonding scene could have been left out, we already know the whole crew loves each other. The only good part of the first half was the Romulans getting toasted. I'm sure toy store shelves are being stocked with ST RC dunebuggy cars as you read this.
We trudge on...
Picard was not bald in the academy. In an episode where his artifical heart is explained, he had a full head of hair.
What's with this emotional attachment of Picard's to the clone? What a wuss. And insult of insults they kill of Data exactly like they did Spock in WoK, after first downloading his catra, I mean memories, into the new Data.
I liked this movie while I was watching it except for the wedding smarm, and I'd say go see it. It's fun if you don't know any of the history. Just don't think about it at all and it will be fine. The effects were great and the sound was great.
Do you think the next ST film will be about the adventures of Admrl Amway?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 12-15-2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut out the wedding scene??? I liked the wedding scene, the girliness in me found that to be one of my favorite parts. Screening this movie with a whole bunch of men sitting in the crowd I noticed that they found this part entertaining also. The few comedic lines made the effort (to me) very welcome.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 12-15-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wedding scene lasts all of about 3 mins; it didn't bother me. As far as the dune buggy sequence, well, sure they could have done the same thing with a shuttlecraft, but Picard clearly welcomed the excuse to take out the buggy instead and have a little fun driving like a maniac. [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-15-2002 07:18 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from Ken L.
... I did not like the desert scene near the beginning. ... Why did that scene look like parts of the movie Traffic? Was that effect (which I can't really describe too well, but I'm sure someone who knows about film making would know if there is a term for it) created on purpose? If so, why?

Alien world... A sun (or suns?) with a different color temperature than good old Sol. Their inhabitants would be equally disturbed if they came HERE! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: