Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Eight Crazy Nights

Author Topic: Eight Crazy Nights
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2002 03:28 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/11/30 19:15, Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 1, Flat

This was actually a pretty funny animated movie. It had its funny moments and was worth seeing. There are some things I would have changed about the movie, especially the voice of "Whitey" the old basketball guy. His voice was in so much of the movie that it was annoying, especially in the showing I attended. The sound system in auditorium 1 at Carmike 8 in Decatur really made that particular voice painful to listen to. The volume was run up past the point where the sound system could reproduce much accurately, making everything rather harsh sounding, ESPECIALLY THAT VOICE! Carmike, PLEASE do something about those old sound systems.

I noticed a couple of "time problems", one of which struck me as odd, and one that was wrong:

1. Flashback to the kids: One says something like "Want to come over and watch the Dukes of Hazzard"? to which the other replies "10-4 Good buddy".

The Dukes of Hazzard ran from January 1979 until some point in 1986.
The CB radio craze was earlier than that. We had TV interference from CB radios during the 1974-1977 years, and most people stopped using them after that. I doubt that kids would have replied "10-4 good buddy" to a request to come over and watch the Dukes of Hazzard, even though CBs were used in the show.

2. Flashback to a 1981 basketball game in which the "robot dance" was done afterwards to the song "Mr. Roboto" by Styx.

"Mr. Roboto" was a hit that was on the Billboard chart for 18 weeks STARTING February 12, 1983. It was on the "Kilroy Was Here" album, which was on the charts for 34 weeks in 1983 STARTING March 19, 1983. The basketball game was supposed to have happened in 1981. Come on movie people -- DO YOUR RESEARCH! This kind of stuff bothers me because I'm old enough to remember these songs when they were new.

It's funny that before the movie, three teenage boys were sitting behind me and "Let's Dance" by David Bowie was playing non-sync. They mentioned liking the music and asked me if I did. I told them what it was and told them I was in high school when it came out. One of them said so was he. I smiled and told him he wasn't even born then.

Back to the movie: the product placements in the mall were funny. I especially liked the deer.

|  IP: Logged

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2002 07:49 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it Rosco P Coltraine that used to say "Well that's a big 10 - 4 little fat buddy?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 12-03-2002 01:54 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second David, Dukes Of Hazzard had quite a bit of CB lingo in its dialogue- remember they always used CBs to communicate in the show.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: