Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » I Spy

Author Topic: I Spy
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 11-03-2002 02:06 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just have one question. Do the people who write the scripts for movies based off of T.V. shows even watch the T.V. shows that the movie is based on. They took what I felt was a good show and made one big giant mess of it. I mean first off, the T.V. show may of had some humor in it but it was also serious. The film is one big unfunny rambling by Eddie Murphy, who's hey day has long past, and a one dimentional performance by Owen Wilson, who's name in the film should be Owen. Because, the man is one dimentional with every role he plays. Nothing changes, he talks the same and offers nothing new to any character he plays. All in all this film just bored me. I went into it with the hopes that Murphy may be able to pull something out of it. There was one scene that had Wilson and Murphy being chased around the city. It offered to me the most laughs and interest in the film. For that reason I am giving the film * star out of four

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 11-03-2002 03:08 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am personally not looking forward to this film. Eddie Murphy's last great role was Axel Foley in Beverly Hills Cop, the first, not the last two. He has had a few decent performances, for instance I really did like that one film where he was driving that old chevy truck, oh yeah, METRO. It did not really showcase him as a comedian so much, and allowed him to at least TRY and act. His agent should do for him what Jim Carrey's agent did, GET HIM A SERIOUS ROLE!!! It saved carrey's career from bieng gone and buried with so many ace ventura sequels.

As for the Wilson brothers, niether of them can act. All they have is that country bumpkin look and feel, and that is all they are capable of. It works for what it is, and in minor roles, it can be a riot, like in Meet the Parents.

I enjoyed watching all the reruns of I SPY. Cosby and Culp were great. This should have been serious, like the FUGITIVE did. If you are going to movie-ize a TV show, give it some guts, and DONT change it like they obviously have done here. This is not I SPY, this is BAD SPY.

So I am giving this also one star, because I don't want to see it, but will have to anyway.

I tell everyone, just forget it and see the RING.

Dave

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 03:19 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie sucked plain and simple.
Eddie Murphy needs to retire and I have never cared for Owen Wilson (or his brother Luke for that matter) unless he is teamed up with Wes Anderson.
The two of them together are unstoppable for me.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-03-2002 05:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11/03/2002, 12:30PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #8, digital sound. Attendance about 15. Analog trailers had dialog coming from screen-right. The surround levels are too low. No apparent subwoofer action. The feature had digital sound problems of its own.

I had low expectations for this, so I wasn't too disappointed. It seemed like some of the stunts and effects stuff wasn't very well covered in terms of camera coverage so there was some discontinuity. I laughed a few times but most of the jokes fall flat. Eddie Murphy's schtick is getting tired. Maybe he needs to quit doing comedies and try drama. I have no problem with Owen Wilson but clearly he can only play one role, no matter what he's in. I give it a thumbs down, but it's not the worst movie I've seen lately (that slot is still held by Sweet Home Alabama).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: