Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Comedian

Author Topic: The Comedian
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-25-2002 04:29 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
From the makers of the best trailer of all time comes a somewhat boring look behind the scenes of stand-up comedians. Most of this movie concentrates on Jerry Seinfeld and some cocky guy called Orny Adams, but we do get clips of Gary Shandling, Bill Cosby, Chris Rock, Colin Quinn and a few others. The Seinfeld scenes were interesting and somewhat as I would have expected Jerry to act behind the scenes. Unfortunately over half of this documentary focuses on this Orny guy. By the end of the first reel I wanted to reach up to the screen and slap him upside the face and tell him to stop acting like such a cocky brat.

The movie was shot on video in 1.33, so expect flat masking and matted sides with an overall grungy image. This is a movie to wait for DVD on, for it is not the kind of show that benefits from a large audience and definitely WOULD benefit from a scan button anytime this mega-unfunny Orny guy starts his whining.

Bottom line - Jerry should've found a real comedian to follow around instead of Orny.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2002 02:38 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film didn't do Jerry total justice towards making him look like a "normal guy..." The filmakers kinda lost their credibility on that end when the chapter on the upcoming comedian simply ended halfway through the film and the remainder of the film was centered on Jerry. But it did accurately capture the pre-show nevousness that comedians and performers often times feel before going on stage.

I've worked tech crew for many stage productions and the film did those emotions total justice.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: