Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ghost Ship

Author Topic: Ghost Ship
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 10-25-2002 02:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, the plot is nothing new. Ship found out in the middle of the ocean. It has been missing for 40 years. A salvage crew has been hired to investigate and find the ship. Crew finds the ship and starts searching it. Well, the rest I will keep a secret. All in all the visuals were good and the story was easy to follow with some twists along the way. Should be good entertainment for the halloween week. I give the film ** stars out of 4.

|  IP: Logged

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2002 09:40 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is definitely nothing new. Just one big horror cliche after another, but then I guess one should expect that. It also gets pretty corny toward the middle. I guess over Halloween one could be inclined to watch it.

3/10

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 10-25-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this plot kind of a re-tred of "Deep Rising" or "Event Horizon"? It even makes me think of "Alien." in some respects (crew all alone on a big vessel facing an unknown menace).

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-25-2002 09:50 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it (I mean really saw it--screening it doesn't count) and thought it was pretty good, for what it is that is.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-27-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10/27/2002, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 12:15PM, #1. Digital sound, probably DTS. Attendance about 10. Clearly out of focus (is that a non-sequitur?) right from the start, I asked them to check the focus and they did correct it. Then a few seconds into the Regal roller coaster, the film jumped a sprocket or something and seemed to slide sideways out of the gate; failsafe stopped it and brought up the lights. To their credit (I guess), they were back onscreen within 2 mins. and there were no further problems.

I agree with Steve's comment: For what this is, it's actually pretty good. Well-made and acted, an interesting "ghost story". It doesn't break any new ground, but it does what it does well enough that I was satisfied with it.

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rate "Ghost Ship" 7 beers out of 12 [beer]

I just saw "Ghost Ship" on ppv and it was what I expected. It is very graphic, if you saw "Resident Evil" remember the laser screen, well imagine 30 people like that. Like what most people wrote, a ship that is haunted and kills everyone who boards it. yes and no...well, not exactly.

The movie begins with the "best salvage crew" towing a huge oil rig and of course something bad happens and the crew almost has to cut it loose, but since they are the " best salvage crew" they save the oil rig and make money.

Yes cheese intro.

We find our crew in a bar, happy with beers and money in their hand, when a guy asks them to salvage this ship he has saw from a plane. He seemed alittle strange to me. Well the crew discusses it and they go.

When they aboard the ship, you get little shots of "ghosts" and the usual spooky stuff that comes with this genre.

The trailers lead you to believe that the ship is the killer, no. What is one board the ship is the killer : gold. The whole idea reloves around mans greed. There is a demon who follows the gold from ship to ship, whose jobs is to collect souls for Lucifer, I suppose. He lures bad people, "killers" onto the ship by tempting them gold. The killers kill everyone on board. The demon trys to stop people from leaving the ship. See he has quota to fill and the can't let the big, bad, red devil down. So the ship is not haunted, just the gold and the demon. Good idea but done in the horror movie genre that has been done to death. (pun intended)

When things go bad you can easily guess who will die first and last. But what I liked about it was why the ship was haunted. I like the idea of a demon tempting man to kill for gold. That is what demons do. The actor who played the demon was great. He sucked as the nice guy, but ruled as the demonic man.

The flashbacks where nice. They where quick and to the point, and the music was good. A little to gory, the director wanted to be gory and went a little over board. I liked how the people where cut in half, that was a good idea. I never saw that coming. What I liked also was the demon just tempted man, yeah, he caused death, but man carried it out.

The ending I saw coming a mile away but the whole movie is predictable. The 2 ex-ER stars living until the end, well the women at least. I loved Gabriel Byrne, great actor, but why does he where a peacoat in ever movie??? Desmond Harrington , the demon, was great, he played demon great, real believable. The little girl was great as well.

I did like this movie and would buy it for $10. A good rental to hanging with friends.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: