Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Jackass

Author Topic: Jackass
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-24-2002 04:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not a fan of the tv show, although I have seen an episode. I was pretty much dreading this movie, but surprisingly enough much of it was pretty funny...in a REALLY STUPID sort of way.

The big lingering question is "why in the hell do these guys do this crap?" Of course the answer is "they will never make it legitimately, so they do this nonsense". While I certainly agree with that answer, some of the things they do in this movie is just plain damned stupid.

Most of this movie was shot on video. I specifically remember seeing an XL1 camera being used for a good amount of it, so it was probably shot mostly on MiniDV. However, since Sodaburger wasn't at the helm, the footage looks decent for what it is on the film blowup. At this point I must wonder if Lucas will find this film superior to the other movies made this year. I mean after all...it IS digital! And what better than a bunch of jackasses doing mindless acts shot digitally!!!

Disclaimers:
*If you do not have a pretty laid back sense of humor, do not see this movie.

*If you are disturbed by seeing naked male's posteriors, do not see this movie.

*If pure stupidity bothers you, do not see this movie.

*If you can not handle seeing disgusting things (many including rectums), do not see this movie.

That being said there IS some fun to be had here. Each segment ranges from about 10 seconds long to as much as 3 minutes. The good part about this is whenever a segment comes along that isn't all that funny to you, within a minute or so the jackasses will be doing something completely different.

My favorite segments were when the jackasses got makeup to give them the appearance of old men. With their elderly disguises, they would go out fighting in the streets in their wheelchairs, fall asleep blocking traffic, blatantly steel things from stores right in front of the managers and then ask them "why are you being mean to me?" and "why don't you like old people?" and so forth. I'm not quite sure why that was so funny, but it was.

If you do choose to see this movie, try and see it on the weekend when there will be a large crowd. This is the kind of movie that is improved with a rowdy audience, so if you have made your mind up that you will watch this movie, but are still deciding whether to see it at the theaters or wait for the DVD...go to the theaters. Whatever you do, DEFINITELY do not leave during the credits. You must see the trailer to the sequel which is after the end credit roll. This is clearly where ALL of their budget for the movie went.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-03-2002 08:33 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you do choose to see this movie, try and see it on the weekend when there will be a large crowd. This is the kind of movie that is improved with a rowdy audience...
Agreed. I saw this opening night in a sold-out theater, and it definitely added to the experience to be surrounded by cheering fans.

I can honestly say that I have never laughed so hard in my life. It's somewhat trite to make statements like that, but really, it's true. My stomach was aching when the movie was over. My favorite stunt was the Alligator Tightrope, but I think I laughed the hardest during the Muscle Stimulator. Hilarious stuff.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: