Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Ring

Author Topic: The Ring
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-20-2002 08:15 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10/20/2002, 12:55PM, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, #16, SR•D. Attendance about 50. Some of the rolling stock was shamefully dirty (feature looked clean). Excessively-jittery image, and it jumped at splices. About half the slides in the slide show were sticking so the image was half above and half below the screen. The other half of the slides were severely tilted.

This is sort of a Sixth Sense knockoff with low-budget actors, but it works fairly well. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but that didn't bother me. It was effectively creepy and held my attention. Well-crafted technically, but has some other issues that detract. The audience seemed to like it. I give it a marginal thumbs up.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-21-2002 01:01 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I give this film much more than marginal thumbs up. In fact I rate this much higher than that piece of crap Sixth Sense. OK so Sixth Sense was a good film, but that thing I had guessed on the opening scene, and while well crafted, was boring as all get out for me to watch.

The Ring, however, had me on my toes all the way. The visual effects were very well done, and some very startling. As far as a sixth sense knockoff, it isn't even in the same ballpark. Completely different kind of movie here. I have seen ads comparing it to the sixth sense, and reviewers as well, so this has to be some sort of campaign they have going to get some sort of familiarity going to push the film.

Without giving anything away, the ending video had me and the entire audience quite shocked and freaked out. If you get a chance to see this film, it is fun. It deserves its number one spot it earned this weekend.

As a warning, don't give the film away! Let people have some fun on this one!

I would like to see the Japanese original however, and see how well this translation holds up. As far as bargain basement actors, I think they did a fine job. The fact that they are not well known shouldn't be a detraction from the movie. In fact, the complete fact that I had never seen them before kind of helped draw me into the story a bit. I get tired of the same actors over and over again.

I did overhear someone that hated the movie, because there wasn't any slasher type gore. It's PG-13. Apparently retards are allowed to see films too, even if they can't pay attention long enought to read the rating on the ticket stub they purchased.

Dave

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-21-2002 02:22 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the newly released version, as reviewed here, as well as the original Japanese film? (Yes, it's a remake.) The original is pretty amazing, and I am always skeptical of remakes. Hollywood rarely seems to copy things well, and never gives the originators much credit. I still will try to catch the new version though.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-22-2002 11:49 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Realizing already that is in fact a remake, I have not been chanced to see it yet. I fear however, that those that see the original first may be poisoned to the new experience. I know that I definately was so when watching the new Planet of the Apes film.

I am glad to see this new version first, and then see the original sometime down the road.

Dave

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2002 03:05 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! This was one of the best films I have seen in a long time. It certainly held my attention the entire time, better than most films do. The trailer really doesn't tell you anything about the film, yet from the first time I saw it, I knew that this was one of those films I just had to see. I think that going into it not know much about it helped keep me on the edge of my seat. I had no clue what was going to happen next.

I have to agree witih Dave Williams that the visual effects were most excellent. Startling is right! I practically jumped out of my seat a few times.

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

I guess the only conclusion I can come to about where the video came from, why people are dying, where the visions are coming from, etc., is supernatural forces. But there are two quesions sticking out in my mind that are really bugging me: Why are the faces of everyone who sees the video blurred? And why did the horse on the ferry go crazy?

(I don't know if that gives anything away, but I had to post the above warning just incase. )

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-28-2002 02:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen the original, and thought that it was very atmospheric in a way that was particularly Japanese. It emphasised, for example, deference to age (e.g. the funeral scene), corporate culture (the lead character is a TV journalist working for a large company) and an obsession with consumer technology. I thought that the evil spirit coming out of a Sony TV set was quite ironic, and wondered if the film-makers intended it that way. I'll be interested to see how much of that survives in the American remake or whether there are substantial changes.

I remember when we showed it at York, at the end of the last show (just after the fade to black but before the credit music started) we rang the usher's internal 'phone in the auditorium. It made everybody jump!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-28-2002 12:32 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD*********************

I have gone and seen this film a second time. Loved it even more, mainly because I caught on to things more the second time.

The reason for the blurred faces is because the people that watch the film are now carrying the same evil force that possesses the litte girl.

Also, here is a big thing, each time the tape is copied, more of the video at the end appears. It gets extended by a few seconds for each time it is copied from each copy.

The film the second time around, carried more of a creepy level, and was more effective. Although I jumped a lot less at the end when the girl pops out of the tv. Still, one of the best movies ever.

Dave

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-28-2002 09:32 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just got back from this one. I liked it. It was pretty good, and worth seeing. I did, however, see the original Japanese film first, and the original is much, much better. As Leo mentioned, the original was much more atmospheric, and very much Japanese. The US version tries to capture some of the more atmospheric and tonal characteristics of the Japanese film, but it doesn't quite measure up. Had I not seen the original first, I probably would have liked this one better than I do, but I think a subsequent viewing of the original would lead me to the same conclusions. I'm not saying that the US version is not worth seeing, but that the Japanese version really is. It isn't easy to see in the States, but hopefully the remake will prompt a release on Region 1 DVD. Either way, the original is worth seeking out.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 11-04-2002 05:43 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw "The Ring" this past weekend during a visit to Oklahoma City.

I watched it at AMC's Quail Springs Mall 24 in a smaller theater, and actually the SDDS presentation was better there than what I have been hearing in larger AMC auditoriums. I suppose with the lower ceilings the surround speakers get closer to where they are supposed to be (like the upper center of the walls). Most any new AMC theater sticks the surround speakers up in the corner where the wall meets the ceiling, which is totally f**king stupid.

On the movie, I thought it was an above average thriller. I like looking at Naomi Watts (she was pretty freaking hot in "Mulholland Drive"). I'm not sure I understand why this film received only a PG-13 rating. The waterlogged looking corpses, one fellow electrocuting himself in a bathtub and a horse going overboard to get chopped up in ferry props seemed a little on the R-rated side to me.

And really, I strongly believe the movie should have been Rated R. Why? It would have kept some cunty little teenage bitches out of the theater. They seemed to be there only to annoy the piss out of the audience. These chicks sat way up in the back rows of the theater. At any point in the movie that could have possibly been construed as being scary, these little imps would scream at the top of their lungs. Since this was a "scary movie" they were pulling this shit all the time.

I'm not sure what their deal was, other than the cheerleader-wannabes just satisfying their inflated egos to get attention. "Oh, look at me, I'm screaming real loud and enjoying the movie better than anyone else, so I'm more cool than anyone else," is probably their motive for behaving so selfishly.

I wasn't alone in my disgust about this. One lady sitting close by walked out to get the manager. The manager came back, walked up the stairs and had some words with the teenagers, but unfortunately did not throw them out of the auditorium. And of course, the kiddies pulled the same screaming shit again and again afterward. The lady who had summoned the manager later told me she used to work for the theater.

The thing that made the bad incident almost worth it was when the show was over. The former employee lady stood up and yelled to the back of the theater, "I hope you idiots back there had a lot of fun, you ruined the movie for just about everyone else in the theater; you're nothing but selfish assholes!" The lady's comments drew immediate and loud applause. The little teenage snot nose princesses had to leave the screening room embarassed under the glare of all the other unsatisfied customers.

Like I said, "The Ring" should have been R-rated.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2002 12:30 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Essex Green 9, West Orange NJ, 11/16, 5:00 PM show. Hall #3, attendance approx. 30. R6 was dirty, otherwise presentation would have rated a "10". There even was a Dolby Digital snipe in front of the feature!

The Ring is slow at first but engrosses you once you see the tape. Was it a student video or was it edited by telepathy?

Even though I've never been in the Pacific Northwest I appreciated how the producers used the Seattle/island locations to good effect. Naomi Watts' character is one you can relate to: single mom, newspaperwoman, adores her son. She deserves an Oscar nomination and a long movie career.

Audience was half white, half black and very appreciative, even with a few restless kids. GCC cared about presentation at Essex Green; AMC does the same. Essex Green is just off I-280 and draws from nearby towns that have a sizable black population. That's why these people go out to Essex Green instead of into Newark.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-08-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who are interested in the original Japanese version of "THE RING", Dreamworks will release it on March 4, 2003 on the same day as the recent American remake. It will feature a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack with a trailer. There is no mention of the film having an English dubbed soundtrack which I am sure nobody here wants.

-Claude

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 02-03-2003 09:01 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color timing on this was...interesting.

--jhawk

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rate "The Ring" 5 beers out of 12pack [beer]

I saw this movie twice, on a date with two different girls, with that in mind I still didn't like it.

I liked the idea of a tape that has an evil spirit of a little girl and people dieing after you watch it. Remake or not, still a good idea. The special effects where very good. The sound was nothing special. Naomi Watts was hott and did a good job acting. Her son did a better job than that punk in 6th sense, an outstanding job.

The first time I went to see "The Ring" the power went out during the 3rd reel. Needless to say the date ended with a smile on my face.

The second time I went to see this, I was really excited about the movie, not the date. I was anticipating an exciting end and couldn't wait to find out what happens next. The date and "The Ring" where big disappointments. My date is still waiting for the phone to RING. hahaha

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that you can sell people anything these days.
I found it not too original, all the elements seemed taken from better films. The acting was quite good, but you can`t act away a script with so many weak parts.

THE RING is a good example of what I consider really BAD BAD BAD cinematography. The print was grainy, long shots looked fuzzy and had no detail, and worst of all, because of shooting wide open, the depth of field was reduced sometimes to inches. Look at the close up shots when the video tapes are inserted into the VTRs, only a very small part of the image is in focus.

I hear the DOP saying "We deliberately went for shallow focus" or "This gives the images a special texture" or something like that.

Watching a film shot this way on a big screen (I saw it on a 60ft. screen today) is a mild form of torture. It`s just bad craftsmanship. There is no excuse for it.

Produced by Mr. Spielberg, who is an cinematically educated man who knows anything about cinematography. What a sad experience - but I think I`ll try to see the Japanese film and to persuade our local film museum to show POLTERGEIST part 1 again...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: