Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Rules of Attraction

Author Topic: The Rules of Attraction
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 03:17 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's surprising how watchable this movie is despite the fact that it lacks anything of real value. Some creative choices were made stylistically, but those techniques are taken so far that they become extremely boring to watch.

You know the asteroid field scene in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK? Well, there's one part in that scene where Han shoots a big asteroid, and its debris showers the Millenium Falcon with little bits of asteroid. If the audience were the Falcon, that's kind of what it would feel like watching this movie.

|  IP: Logged

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2002 04:32 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a really cool feeling when you walk into a movie that you expect to despise and end up liking.
The trailer really put me off to the movie.
I started off the first ten minutes or so hating the movie because of these despicable characters and their bad sex habits.
Some of these people are just assholes who dont even deserve to get laid.
But then I thought about KIDS and how despicable they were and how I still liked the movie.
What got me into the movie was how it was put together and the form in took.
They would introduce one character and at the end of his or her introduction, the movie would freeze and then show what you just saw backwards (not MEMENTO style, but more like playing a video tape backwards with the sound on, do you follow?) but as it goes backwards would move onto another character.
Pretty interesting to me.
There were also a couple good scenes of split screen, one of which turned into normal screen.
This is a little hard to explain in writing so bear with me.
Imagine two people standing face to face talking to each other.
Now imagine there are two cameras back to back shooting them so it looks like they are having a conversation with each other, but they are really talking to the camera.
The shots from the two cameras are shown in split screen fashion so the people look like they are talking to the audience even though they are talking to each other.
As the conversation ends, the two cameras move around to the side of them in a semicircular motion so that the cameras are now side by side, showing the two of them standing face to face, and the split screen just turns into one full screen shot without making a cut.
I thought that was really cool.
The soundtrack was really cool too.
The music was done by Tomandandy, who I am not very familiar with, but after watching this, I might like to be.
It also featured songs by The Cure, Yaz, Blondie, Love and Rockets, Milla Jovovich, and Erasure.
You can view the listing HERE

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-13-2002 09:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A movie is only as good as the licensed songs it contains. Also be sure to buy the "Songs Inspired by" soundtrack! Scores are overrated.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 04:31 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno I really didnt like this as much as I thought I would. There were some good parts but it seemed to draaaag a bit to me.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-16-2002 11:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You were bored despite all of the little tricks the director used that he learned in film school to keep you entertained?

Lesson 1: Film school will not make you a good moviemaker.

Lesson 2: Film school will not make you a good moviemaker.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2002 01:52 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what Roger Avary himself has to say about film school:

"I went to film school, and so I actually feel a little bit okay in saying that film school sucks. You know, its a franchise. I don't advise anybody going to film school."

The techniques he used were interesting for about 30 seconds. The problem is that he chose to use them for a hell of a lot longer than 30 seconds.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-16-2002 05:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You know Mike, I finally agree with something you posted. Of course you were quoting someone else.

Anyone who goes to "film school" and leaves thinking they will be the next big Hollywood director/producer/whatever will definitely make CRAP! Let's take this discussion to the Yak forum please.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-07-2003 02:25 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My review of this film: [puke]

(is this the first one-graemlin movie review?)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: