Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever

Author Topic: Ballistic: Ecks Vs. Sever
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 09-21-2002 12:35 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I tend to like these types of movies. I get into the unrealistic stunts and action sequences. But for some reason that was not the case for this film. It did have some interesting stunt effects but if the story jumps around to make things confusing it ruins everything. That's what this film did. To much jumping around and not enough explaining in the first half of the film. Antonio Banderes needs to sit back and evaluate some things. First off he is no Steven Segal. This film would have been perfect for Segal. Secondly he needs to work on that accent and try to get it to where you can understand half the things he is saying. So Antonio, learn to speak and stick with the guns leave the martial arts to Segal. I give this film *1/2 stars out of 4

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Sonnenshein
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2002 01:35 AM      Profile for Matthew Sonnenshein   Email Matthew Sonnenshein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. But I feel the inclination to be even more critical of this movie. The stunts really were blown out of proportion to the script. There is one helicopter shot, right above an explosion that must have costs a enormous amount of change in itself. For a dump season action movie it wasnt the worst I've ever seen (collateral damage and six day come to mind). I don't think this is a movie to waste money on. Sometimes I'd hope that Hollywood wouldn't make these class of flicks. But what can ya do.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sometimes I'd hope that Hollywood wouldn't make these class of flicks."

I think it's great that Hollywood makes this class of flicks, and I feel the need to support them by going to see them, even when they'll probably be bad, just so that they will continue to make this class of flicks. Because every once in a while, a great one will slip through. Not that BALLISTIC is one of those, but it's still not a bad movie. The action sequences were really well done. The photography was also top notch. The compositions were cool. They were very reminiscent of comic book panels. The writing sucked, and the scenes which attempted to provide character development were rather painful to watch. But they were short enough to make it possible to forgive their stupidity.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 09-25-2002 02:16 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think our tendency is to compare every damn film to what we think is the best film of history, and then trash that film we are watching because it didn't surpass.

I have said it before, and I will say it again. Not everything is an award winner. Not every person is Einstein. Not every house is the Taj Mahal (sic?). However, those that can find happiness everywhere you look, are those that are most content in thier world, and they tend to live longer. LESS STRESS!!!

With that all said, this movie really sucked. And I mean bad. I was so damn bored I was actually fidgeting! FIDGETING!!! There were some really good stunts, good fighting sequences, etc. This was a popcorn and drink movie, plain and simple. It was made to not fill seats, but to drain concession stands. It is mindless, simple, and for some damn reason, mildly entertaining.

The first hour had most of the cool stunts, but also had the longest lag time in storytelling. The end, which was nice and quick, had the lamest stunts. Just blowing stuff up and shooting people. WOW, thats cool!!!

Two out of four stars.

Dave

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 10:32 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(bump)
regarding another post, for Dave Williams

a movie this bad shouldn't have more than one thread. Please post all reviews in the same thread please.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-17-2002 12:40 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jim,

No offence intended but this IS the original thread, and the ACTUAL title of the movie.

When you get promoted to Brad, let us know. If you meant to post your comment in the OTHER thread, well then I give you my utmost apologies.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: