Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Igby Goes Down

Author Topic: Igby Goes Down
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-18-2002 05:10 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the greatest show ever, but in the midst of all the crap movies coming out, make a point to venture out to this one. It's pretty entertaining.

Rather than write a description of the storyline, just check out the trailer.

Large trailer
Small trailer

(Gotta love those phone calls in the last reel! )

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2002 11:11 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie is very good. It's extremely funny at times, and the performances are solid. Especially the Culkin's. I think it does a nice job of handling the transitions from humor to drama, too. The one part which I found to be rather weak was the Amanda Peet character. I think a little more time needed to be spent with her. But on the whole, this may be the best movie out there right now.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2002 12:37 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this movie today at one of our arthouses in Harvard Sqaure in Cambridge mass. (single split to 5 but still pretty nice) I did not like it, I just couldnt get into it. I didnt feel for any of the characters in the least bit. The only good part was the phone call part

*SPOILER*

Also I thought it made no sense that IGBY looked a lot like the schizo dad but then the mom say that the other guy is his dad? I didnt get it!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2002 04:51 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10/12/2002, Regal Warrington Crossing 22, Warrington PA, 5:50 PM show. Turnout about 20 in a hall that seats 90.

The AMC Hamilton just dropped this movie and I didn't want to go into Manhattan on a murky day. Fortunately a Regal megaplex in Bucks County held it over (thanks, Moviefone, for the listing).

The box office cashier was amazed that she was selling tickets for this picture -- she even asked me, "What is this film about?"

I could have been in Igby's shoes. I had a ne'er-do-well childhood, bright as the sun but always getting into trouble and stuff. Unlike Igby I didn't bounce around from school to school. Luckily for me I had an aunt who loved me more than anything. Igby never has anyone to nurture him in that way.

All the "Film Snobs" rave about Kieran Culkin as Igby. Bill Pullman as his stepdad steals this movie. Pullman should get an Oscar nomination but might lose out because this movie is from United Artists. Who has the better arthouse track record of late, Miramax or UA?

The show also went from the last trailer straight into the UA logo. No "rollercoaster" policy snipe, not even the newer Regal Entertainment Group version. That might be a first for any Regal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: