Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Amen

Author Topic: Amen
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-16-2002 06:38 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently this film kicked off a major controversy among Christian groups in France, with one RC bishop finding its treatment of the relationship between the Nazis and the Pope so unpalatable that he called for the film to be banned.

It's hard to see why. This is a pretty routine Costa-Gavras political thriller, not helped by unimpressive acting (even from Matthieu Kassovitz in the lead) and dialogue which was either dubbed or spoken in English with fake German accents. The lip-sync looked too good for dubbing to me.

The narrative concerns an SS Officer (played by Kassovitz) who finds it increasingly difficult to reconcile his increasing involvement in the holocaust with his Christian convictions. He forms a friendship with a minor official in the Berlin Vatican embassy and through him attempts to persuade the Pope to publicly reveal the existence of the Eastern European concentration camps. The Pope [the film implies] is reluctant to do so, ostensibly because he believes that by keeping a channel of communication open with the Nazis he can limit their damage, but in reality because he doesn't want to endanger himself or the Catholic hierachy.

I can't comment on the historical accuracy or otherwise of this portrayal, but the way it came across was totally unconvincing. The accents were phoney, the costumes and sets looked too shiny and squeaky-clean for a war-torn Berlin in 1943, and the characterisation was exaggerated to the point of being two-dimensional. You might find it hard to believe, but in the final climatic scene in which the Auschwitz commandant orders the death of a Catholic priest with the words 'Up ze chimney vith him!', people actually started laughing in the cinema, and I don't think this was because I was sitting in an auditorium full of Christian-hating Nazi sympathisers.

And as for Kassovitz, I think that anyone who has seen Les rivieres pourpres will agree that he should stay behind the camera.

|  IP: Logged

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2002 08:07 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like an interesting movie, despite the unconvincing direction it apparently takes. Making people laugh by having an apparent bad german accent saying 'up ze chimney vith him' sounds great, and any movie talking about the Vatican and thier supposed moral beliefs helping to keep the holocaust a secret, I have to see.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: