Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sunshine State

Author Topic: Sunshine State
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2002 03:38 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another excellent and underrated John Sayles film which sadly doesn't seem to have generated much interest, even among arthouse buffs. Like Lone Star and Limbo, this film takes us into a part of America where Hollywood doesn't go (or at least from an English perspective it seems that way) - in this case a run-down part of the Florida Atlantic seaboard.

The story focuses on an attempt by property developers to buy out residents and small business owners and develop the area as a resort. In reality this is little more than a hook on which to hang an impressionistic view of the lives of a cross-section of the community. This might sound like anodyne soap-opera stuff, but Sayles carries it off so well that 140 minutes seems like little over an hour. The acting is absolutely superb and as usual there's a thought-provoking twist in the ending - a lot more subtle than in Limbo but every bit as effective.

Out of interest, has this film been widely shown in the US?

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2002 10:00 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ran for at least 3 weeks here in Kansas City at an art house (The Rio). It wasn't my favorite film, but it had some interesting elements. I used to live in Florida, so the Weeki-Wachi connection was sort of neat. Edie Falco gave a really nice performance. I like that scene where she and Timothy Hutton hold noses in the bar.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2002 03:08 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got the feeling that this movie was meant to bring out nostalgia for the past -- when men were men, colored people knew their place, etc., etc.

Aside from that Sunshine State had the best photography from a digital source that I've seen so far this year. Film-Techers in Florida might want to know that this was filmed on Amelia Island, north of Jacksonville.

Leo: Sunshine State opened in the US on 6/21 and is still running in Manhattan.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 08:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler alert: My comments below give away the ending...

quote:
I got the feeling that this movie was meant to bring out nostalgia for the past -- when men were men, colored people knew their place, etc., etc.

It raised those issues, certainly, but I got a sense that Sayles was trying to do more than just evoke nostalgia. On the one hand you had the bossy wife who enthusiastically organised the heritage weekend event, whose husband was so fed up with being hen-pecked that he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to kill himself; but there is also the hotel owner who is terribly unhappy in her leadership role and wants to get out. With coloured people, the point is made that although they may have had to deal with civil rights issues in the past, at least they owned the small businesses on the seafront rather than having to work on the minimum wage for big businesses which take their profits out of the area. I think Sayles was trying to make the point that with evey social or political change there are both positive and negative effects and that nothing is as clear-cut as it first seems, hence the landscaping contractors discovering archeological remains in the penultimate scene and having to abandon their plans for yet another golf course.

Was it really shot on ? I didn't notice any artifacts or pixellation at all. The technique has obviously got better since Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?, in which you could spot it from a mile off.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: