Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Tracker

Author Topic: The Tracker
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2002 11:23 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Directed by Rolf De Heer.
ALL MEN CHOOSE THE PATH THEY WALK.
A set of mountain ranges in outback south australia, 1922.
The FANATIC leads the THE TRACKER and two white men, THE FOLLOWER and THE VETERAN in pusuit of THE FUGITIVE.
Through massacre and murder the hunt continues, until clear cut notions of truth and justice are subverted and the questions become not, will the fugitive be caught , but what is black and what is white and who is leading whom? <(from the flyer).
This is quite an important film for australian audiences as it deals with the brutal treatment of the indigenous people of australia in the first 200 years of white settlement and to be honest things haven't changed MUCH !.
The film stars David Gulpilil, australias most gifted and famous aboriginal actor and his performance is wonderful and gives the film great heart. this film is quite brutal and confronting at times but also has moments of great humour. Rolf de heer isnt a fan of exploitative onscreen violence, so in moments of great violence he used paintings to depict what you can hear, i felt that it was more effective!. The films soundtrack is a very important part of this film and kind of acts as the narrator, songs written by rolf and sung by archie roach (australias best aboriginal singer).
this film could be considered slow in pace, but it's meant to be, 5 guys strolling throught the desert? , i would say this COULD be compared to a western, but it isnt!. I LOVED THIS FILM! .
I had the pleasure of meeting the director tonight at the premiere and he was great to talk to, i' d love to write what he told me but i guess he MIGHT not want me to post it?.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: