Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Brighton Rock (UK relelease)

Author Topic: Brighton Rock (UK relelease)
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-05-2002 06:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This new version is quite a mixed bag. It gives the impression of having been quite a complicated restoration, with the varying tonalities, contrasts and grain density from shot to shot (sometimes within a single scene) suggesting that several source elements were used to construct a new negative. The BFI's technicians clearly worked very hard at grading (timing) the finished product, as the light level remains remarkably consistent, even when cutting between different generations of element within a single scene. One particular aspect that struck me was that the new print seemed to have a very restricted depth of field in some shots - in particular, during the climactic scece on Brighton Pier in which Pinky tries to persuade Rose to shoot herself, Pinky (slightly to the foreground) is almost a complete blur. I've seen a nitrate print of this film in which both appear in pin sharp focus, and the tension in this scene comes mainly from the reactions in their facial expressions, so the new print with blurred foreground can't be right. The only reason I can think of for this is that the original element was a bit shrunk and was duped by step contact printing, which lead to registration issues. The soundtrack rerecording is excellent throughout, with no overmodulation at all that I could hear and a s/n ratio which could almost have been Dolby A-type.

As for the film itself I've always had mixed feelings about it. The British crime/gangster films of the late 40s were in many ways a response to WWII having prepared cinema audiences for greater realism, but also of the film industry, and in particular its censorship culture, not being quite ready. I don't think Brighton Rock is the masterpiece that many historians believe: other examples of the genre, notably They Made Me a Fugitive and Odd Man Out are more stylishly shot, more subtly characterised and negotiate the ambivolent political climate more cleverly - certainly more cleverly than the botched ending of Brighton Rock (see below).

Neverless there are some highlights, especially the location shooting in Brighton and Richard Attenborough's genuinely convincing performance as the teenage gangster. This contrasts starkly with some terrible ham-acting from the supporting cast, e.g. Hermione Baddeley and whoever it was that played the drunken lawyer. When the censors made it clear that the conclusion of Graham Greene's book - an innocent Catholic girl committing premeditated suicide - was not acceptable in the film, a hastily scripted and shot alternative 'happy' ending was substituted, which succeeds in destroying the whole atmosphere of the film in thirty seconds flat. I understand that the original final scene still survives. I would have preferred to see it reinstated for this new release, though I understand that this raises issues of authenticity, given that it was never shown when the film was originally released.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: