Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Signs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Signs
Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 05:50 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's Hitchcock on crack!!!!!!!!

I enjoyed it even when I was straining my eyes searching the screen for little movements or hints. This one had me hooked just on the opening credits, loved them, and then they are carried thru the end credits, just cool. The score is awesome, even when its not present, you feel it. Very clear and sharp print.

Anyway, its one of the few, very few I would pay evening price for if I had to.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 10:00 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved it too. I was also scanning the backgrounds to see if I could spot something like a head sticking out of the cornfield or something (just the occasional boom mic in the frame). I cannot believe that the USA Today only gave it 2 1/2 stars. I was really into the story and the camera work and cinematography but to be honest, I felt that Mel's performance was a bit lacking as I never really connected with his character I concede that that could be the director's intention where the drama and suspence comes more from putting yourselves in the characters place that actually caring about the characters themselves.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 03:10 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt see any boom mikes so your film might have been out of frame.

SPOILERS AHEAD

As far as the movie goes, I left feeling kind of empty and let down.
All the buildup didnt amount to much and there was no real suprise at the end other than how to kill aliens.
I thought it was really good up until the end.
I did, however, have the same disappointed feeling about UNBREAKABLE but ended up liking the film eventually.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie started off terribly. The opening sequence felt rushed and out of place, and the next half hour seemed to last for an hour and a half. But then...

Shyamalan seems to have this thing going where his movies all build up to some point, but you have no clue what that point could possibly be or how it could possibly work. Then you get to that point, and think, "Oh my God. Of course. How could they have ended it any other way?" I don't think that this picture is as good as THE SIXTH SENSE, and it sure as hell isn't as good as UNBREAKABLE, but it's still a pretty solid movie.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-02-2002 05:52 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
08/02/2002, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 12:30PM, #3, DTS. Attendance about 100. Very good presentation. I noticed 1 lab splice but no other notable flaws. There was so much rolling stock they started the show 10 mins. early.

I enjoyed it a lot. Shaymalyan's (sp?) movies seem very "cinematic" and well-crafted. He keeps things just a little "off" so the audience has to guess what's going on. Like that military recruiter guy -- you're watching him and thinking "What's the deal?". Things tie up nicely at the end. I wasn't blown away but this is a solid movie.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 10:46 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question: Is this a monster film or a morality play?

Anyway, very effective use of the back surround channel (Surround-EX)

I enjoyed it, but it's not something I want to see again. Night's pacing is a bit too slow for my taste.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-03-2002 01:21 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what to think of "Signs." Overall, I found it pretty entertaining, but I agree with James Hammonds' comments about the revelation being kind of disappointing.

I did like this film more than "Unbreakable" but still the ending was a bit on the weak side. The only things that really made it for me were the funny bits, such as the little girl and her water drinking habit and Joaquin Phoenix' tirade about 30 year old nerds who never had girlfriends but winds up behaving the same nerdy way right down to the Hershey's Kiss aluminum foil thingie on his head.

The movie did have some excellent use of surround sound. I watched it at the Carmike 8 in Lawton, presented in THX-DTS. The aliens' scurrying actions were really well demonstrated in the surrounds. The DTS track also had some pretty good jolting moments, especially when the aliens were getting into the house. This film is indeed a Surround-EX enabled show. I noticed the 5 digit serial number on the DTS CD-ROMs denoting DTS-ES capability rather than the usual four digital nomenclature for straight 5.1/5.0.

Matt Walker
Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 03:44 AM      Profile for Matt Walker   Email Matt Walker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really surprised with this film, I thought it was going to be an unsolved mysteries turned into a movie. While watching I was paying attention to Mel Gibson and to me it really didn't seem like a role he was comfortable with. On the other hand was he supposed to look comfortable or scared and lost, after thinking about it he's a man that lost his wife and gave up on his beliefs. My answer to is he to be comfortable or scared and lost, I came up with scared and lost. He has never used language before then he's in the real world around it. I think he did a great job acting the part but I don't think it’s his type of movie and I think he shouldn't try another one like this.
As for the storyline I thought it was great and at some point it will keep you on edge.

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 12:18 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much, but one thing I do know is farms (I am from Iowa afterall). Two things jumped out at me as being off in this movie:

(spoilers ahead)

1. Corn is wet at night and in the morning. Not just when it rains, but all the time. Dew forms only a couple hours after sunset, and stays on through the morning until the sun burns it off. But yet water was their nemesis, and at the beginning when they woke and ran through they were dry.

2. It would be a very rare occasion indeed for a farmer NOT to have a gun in his house. I was expecting all along for someone to grab a shot gun and wait, but it never happened.

Other than that, the movie was OK. The further it removed itself from reality, the less interested I got.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-04-2002 08:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
08/04/2002, 12:00PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #3, SDDS. Attendance about 50. *Excellent* presentation: the image was extremely sharp and steady. Sound was great too.

2nd viewing for me, and I liked it more this time. One of the best movies released this year.

I figured the reason they had no guns in the house was that Mel Gibson's character was an ex-preacher and maybe he was opposed to having weapons because of that. Or maybe after what happened with his wife he decided it was too risky having weapons in the house with the 2 young kids there. No more tragic accidents.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 08-04-2002 08:48 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had an opportunity to go watch this movie today. In fact, I didn't even have to pay for popcorn!!!

HOWEVER...

I decided against it. Let's face it. I am one of the few people that just didn't like "the 6th sense", because I guessed it at the beginning. It was too easy! Unbreakable, while a better film, was way to friggin slow, and had a very unsatifying and very quick ending.

Now that signs has raped everyone at the box office, with about 60 million in sales, I figured I will wait to rent the DVD, or better yet, get it on HBO.

Besides, I agree with Chad on the believability issue. My uncle in nevada is a rancher, is a religeous leader, and there are guns. It is standard for ranchers and farmers to have them around. There is no law enforcement for these families, other than that.

That's not the only reason I don't want to see it, but it just doesn't really entice me at all.

Dave

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 09:22 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this movie. I really let myself get into it more then I usually do and almost jump once or twice. It is definitely a little slow, as is all his movies, so I can understand why some people wouldn't be too interested.

I thought the movie was great though. Well made, and great acting....it kinda reminded me of Independence Day witht the whole alien invasion thing. i think its one of the better movies to come out this year.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Kelsey Black
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2002 10:28 PM      Profile for Kelsey Black   Email Kelsey Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One liitle tidbit of interesting info about this movie, it started shooting on September 13, 2001.

that could explain a few odd things related to acting abilities...

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2002 09:16 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, you also don't go running through corn without using sacrificing your arms to protect your face from the sharp leaves. Stuff gives you paper like cuts if your not careful.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-05-2002 10:32 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Local law enforcement plays a prominent role in this movie. I think they deliberately didn't explain why there were no firearms in the house so the audience would have to figure it out on their own. My interpretation is Gibson would not allow firearms after the tragedy he'd been through.

I agree though that some people will not like this movie. It is slow and talky sometimes, and the aliens are really not the central point of the story.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: