Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Y Tu Mama Tambien

Author Topic: Y Tu Mama Tambien
Matthew Sonnenshein
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 02:13 AM      Profile for Matthew Sonnenshein   Email Matthew Sonnenshein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After spending a day in NYC, I saw Y Tu Mama Tambiem. If there was ever a movie that translated instanteously through subtitles it was this. It weaves many human drama together under the guise of a funny road trip. The sexual content is hilarious and blantant but not overdone. The movie was excellently done and is my opinion the best independent movie I've seen so far. It is easily the best foriegn film.
4 1/2 out of 5 A great date movie, and a thinking movie too. The best of both worlds with subtitles.

|  IP: Logged

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Medium: DVD
Everything the previous poster said. A lot of people will be (have been) turned off from this wonderful film becuase of the "gratuitous" sex. This is actually one of the more truthful coming-of-age stories since in our time, coming-of-age usually has to do with sex (preferably lots of it). The colors and cinematography are great. The only problem I had with this (and most subtitle movies) are the translation. I don't speak Spanish, only knowing a few words, but I know that these were poorly translated. There were times when one character would speak for a while and the subtitle was only a few words and then the subtitles would disappear while the character was still talking. Maybe I should just learn Spanish though [Smile] . Definitely a great overall film. 8.7/10 [thumbsup]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-03-2004 08:23 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rent it.
Buy it.
Whatever.

But definitely SEE IT.

It's just that good! [thumbsup]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2004 01:19 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you don't rent the R version. The unrated version explains the ending better. I talked to a friend who saw the R version and didn't understand why the characters act a bit uncomfortable at the coffee shop.

Saw it during a free screening. Pretty solid movie.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: