Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Donnie Darko (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Donnie Darko
Matthew Sonnenshein
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Matthew Sonnenshein   Email Matthew Sonnenshein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently saw this flick. Though its at times confusing and unexplained it was so worthwhile. It didnt leave out the mystique of adolescence and its occasional bitter trajedy. The acting is stellar and the cinematography is erie. All good things all-around.
4 1/2 out of 5 This movie left me speechless.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 10:15 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. Never remember it playing out around here. But, a friend did recommend renting the dvd. So, I did, and watched it 4 times. Extremely well made film. Wait to buy the DVD, as it will have a price drop sometime in September.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 02:00 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a coincidence..

Last night, a friend of mine came over since he wanted to see this DVD on my system. He said that about 10 of his friends had recommended it, sayig he really should see it. I'd never even heard of it. It definitely did not get shown at any theatres here in Huntsville or Decatur.

It was bizarre, and the cinematography was very neat. It was actually filmed with an anamorphic lens, and I noticed that in many scenes (or maybe all of them), the lens used turned straight lines at the top or bottom of the picture (such as the edge of a chalkboard or where the wall meets the floor) into noticeable curves, like a very slight fish-eye effect.

It's definitely the most different, more bizarre movie I've seen in a very long time. I recommend it.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 02:08 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko basically had a botched distribution deal and despite incredible critical praise and a successful run at film festivals, it didn't get around very much at all. I was lucky enough to catch it twice on the big screen during its week long run in Madison. Yes, I liked it that much. I also bought the dvd. It's an amazing film and I would argue that it is one of very few well done 80s 'period' films. The DVD is packed with special features. If you haven't yet, check out donneiedarko.com It is one of the greatest and most intricate websites I have ever seen.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 03:14 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie kicked my ass and I was begging for more.
Ive seen few movies lately that I would want to watch repeatedly and Ive been wanting to see this again, but my mother has it and wants to watch it agian before I take it back.

------------------
Find me online
AOL: Dexter Caldwell
yahoo!: dexter_caldwell

"It is the opinion of the entire staff the Dexter is criminally insane."

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-30-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film, though it's probably not for everyone. I saw it in 35mm a couple of weeks ago and again on DVD last night...it definitely demands multiple viewings.

This is currently doing very well as a midnight show at one local theatre and might be worth booking especially in markets where it didn't last long during its initial run.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 01:11 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran it as a midnite show about two weeks ago. We packed our largest auditorium, it was simply amazing. People drove 35 miles to come see it. It has a big cult following in southeastern Wisconsin. It will be playing in Milwaukee in the near future. Go see it if ya can! [Smile]

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge fan of "Donnie Darko", one of the best movies I have ever seen. I make all my friends watch it and they all have enjoyed it. Go and buy the DVD, trust me. Spread the word...

Don, or anyone else, do you have any posters, maquees or anything related the movie? I would greatly appreciate it.

Donnie Darko

if you think the movie is strange, try the website. it will rack your brain.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, I had a couple one sheets from New Market, but one is being saved for future use, and the other has been framed. Also have a scope trailer, but, again...we will be using it next summer as we plan on booking it again. There are a few vendors on ebay selling one sheet reproductions, and they are actually very nice copies. I bought one just incase we couldn't get an original sheet. But, I gave it to a diehard Donnie fan.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 04:23 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie a lot. It was shown in Atlanta for the first time recently. The print quality was disappointing. Still, the theater was filled with many people who owned the DVD. I was glad I skipped the showing on HBO the week before.

However, my opinion of the movie went down a tad after talking to the director during the post movie meet and greet. Richard Kelly seemed to think of the movie more as a scifi movie than I did. I personally feel the movie has way too many holes as a scifi movie. At least Terry Gilliam admits on the 12 Monkeys , the scifi part was not supposed to be the main thing. So I give logic problems (inherent in every time travel movie) a pass for 12 Monkeys.

However, if you just go by the vibes the movie generates, it is a very good experience. The cover of Mad World by Jules was excellent. I don't even remember the Tears for Fears original, but I am sure it wasn't this good.

Great direction by Kelly even if I think he should have either simplified the time travel logic a bit or made it even more complex.

After watching this movie, you wonder if Spiderman 2 would have benefited if they did not rescind the Spiderman 2 offer to Jake G. Tobey fit the role in Part 1. But it would have been nice to see a fresh new face for Part 2 who could add a little more than the predictable sweetness Tobey gives the role.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday while I was waiting to get my sub at Subway, I saw this guy walk by the windows whose entire right forearm was an enormous tattoo of Frank the Bunny's face. It was freaking unreal.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-14-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
a successful run at film festivals
When "Donnie Darko" ran at film festivals like Sundance and others. It was slightly longer and had a different score.
A few of the songs in the score were changed after the festival runs. I ran both versions of the film for New York media. The first screenings in New York for press and media saw the Sundance version. Many times a film plays film festivals is rescored, because of music rights. The film maker pays one rate at first and if the film gets picked up for release. The releasing company has to pay another rate to use the music other than the festival rate. I liked the other score and use of music.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-15-2003 08:12 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When "Donnie Darko" ran at film festivals like Sundance and others. It was slightly longer and had a different score.
Interesting. The theatrical version that I saw recently is the same as the DVD version, presumably with the "new" cut and score. Hopefully the original version will be available in some format at some point.

I recently found out that music clearances are usually priced very cheaply for films which will only play in festivals (no theatrical, video, TV, cable, etc. rights), yet are increased substantially once theatrical rights are purchased. Obviously, the specifics will vary, but this appears to be typical for movies which include popular music.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2003 10:37 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Donnie Darko is one of my most favorite films of 2001. It opened wide here in SF, with some of the lower-end UA's picking it up. Unfortunately it was dropped after two weeks, and then the independants picked it up for a while in second run. I had the chance to see it twice on the big screen.

[ 09-07-2004, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Eric Hooper ]

Stephen Isaacs
Film Handler

- posted 12-02-2003 03:16 PM      Profile for Stephen Isaacs   Email Stephen Isaacs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then, this is what you call a wierd film. Excellent and well worth watching

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: