Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bend it like beckham (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bend it like beckham
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 07:39 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has to be one of the worst films to come OUT of England for atleast the last 5 years!, the worst thing is that it's been one of our highest grossing films of the year (second, behind AMELIE)and i'm one of only a very few who doesn't love it(i hate it!).
This film is CHEAP in every possible way from the directing to the acting ,writing, lighting ,choice of music for the soundtrack(SPICEGIRLS???)...i could go on and name everything in the film but i'm lazy!.
I hate the way they stick these things into arthouse cinemas to try and give them credibility! , FREDDY GOT FINGERED...AGAIN coming to an arthouse cinema near you??? .
...i feel slightly better now!.

|  IP: Logged

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2002 06:03 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Brad

Yes it was cheaply done but most of my friends and I liked it. Hey if we Aussies can make cheap films like The Castle and get away with it I don't begrudge the Brits their opportunity.

I wouldn't say it was the greatest film ever made but it was ok.

cheers Peter

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2002 10:57 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bend It Like Beckham is a mainstream smash in the UK and an arthouse smash in Oz. I'm surprised no US studio has picked it up for the States.

After all, the real Beckham makes the gossip columns over here too.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2002 06:48 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update: Fox Searchlight has picked up Bend It Like Beckham for US release in 2003.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-10-2002 03:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, someone must like it...we've been running it now for 6 weeks and it has been number one at the Ritz for all of those six weeks. Stayed in our 850 seater for the first 4 of those six weeks. Fourth Saturday night early show still pulled just short of 600 patrons.

These ones don't come along that often. A blockbuster that stays blockbusting more than 1 week!

Read an article in variety about movies not having legs anymore and it's true, but every now and then...

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2002 05:48 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am most definitely in the minority with my hatred for this film, even after 6 weeks it's still doing well at both of our locations, i'm doing a holiday relief at our other location and they're screening the bloody thing to, no escape!!.  -
I believe that "beckham" is number two on the australian box office, behind "about a boy" i believe.
I must admit i do occasionally enjoy hating the odd film!!.

[ 02-17-2003, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: Brad Haven ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2003 06:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a real crowd-pleaser. It's not going to be the next [Trainspotting | Full Monty | Billy Eliot], but it's a fun little British film which should do good business in the US. It's a nice coming-of-age type of story about overcoming adversity which will appeal to many different demographics.

My only complaint is that it seems to have been edited in order to sell soundtrack recordings--they somehow managed to include an insane number of different musical pieces within the film. This isn't a bad thing per se, but it just feels a bit awkward in some places. This is more of an observation than a complaint, actually.

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2003 02:24 PM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - but i love it!

I've seen it first at last years screening at CinemaExpo-Tradeshow in Amsterdam - at 9 a.m.. Imagine this: the whole european movie business crowd early in the morning after having had a vine or two too much the evening before supposed to attend a film about a girl from india playing soccer. Well, nobody knew what to expect, but it received standing ovations afterwards!

"Bend it like Beckham" didn't do very well or at least the way it should have at Germanies boxoffice because the distributor advertised it as - once again - " a film about a girl from india playing soccer". But nevertheless: this is pure cinema entertainment to be seen in a sold out theatre and definitely one of the best films of 2002.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 02:20 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was watchable. The lead actress was fine, but the rest of the cast was acting like this movie was a sitcom. Saw it on DVD and the smallness of the picture makes you not miss the theater anyway. Bhaji on the beach by the same filmmaker was better. Gurindher Chada is really coasting by on the relative newness of the indian genre set in other countries. I do not see any great filmmaking at work here. When better brit-indian or indian american movies come along in the future, this movie will look like a run of the mill sitcom(which it actually does resemble even now). There have been better indian movies made by british and american based filmmakers that haven't gotten half the publicity this movie has generated.

Big Fat Greek Wedding had the same advantage. Being one of the early films in a given genre and nothing to do with the freshness of the writing.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We saw this on the plane ride to Oz last November. I enjoyed it, not because it was any great production or story, but because of the insights it gave (true or not) into the life and culture of the family from India. I enjoyed it, that's all

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"BEND IT" also did very well in our theatres in Adelaide.
Could someone advise me what the girl`s father did for work, I would presume something in the aviation line going by several scenes featuring aircraft.
John Spooner. South Australia.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-17-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought her Dad worked in airline security.

I enjoyed the film when they screened it at ShowEast last October. We have some good friends from India, and the "clash of cultures" (e.g., arranged marriages) portrayed seemed accurate, much as in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-17-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this movie very much. I thought the actors were very good, especially the girl playing the main part, but also her father and her best friend`s mother. I loved the scene where she visits her best friend and the mother eavesdrops on their argument and thinks they are lesbians. Just the way the mother freezes and pretends not to be there when the girl races down the stairs!
The comparison with Greek Wedding comes to mind of course since both are "ethnic" comedies and I found this movie much, much better. It had a lot of funny details like the picture of the family`s guru ("swear to Baba!") and very good ideas like the opening scene where she dreams to play for England. This kind of humour appeals to me much more than Wedding`s style.
I hate Spice Girls too, but this movie is set in a young girl`s world...

I am not sure, but I think her father could also be a pilot. He mentions that he went to college and seems to be rather well-off for a security guy. He could also be a flight controller or something like that.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 02-18-2003 02:31 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles Everett said the film has been picked up by Fox Searchlight Pictures for 2003 release here in the US.

Charles, do you know when it is scheduled to open here? I saw the movie trailer on the "BANGER SISTERS" DVD and it looks like a film I will enjoy.

-Claude

Christian Sinclair
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2003 05:15 AM      Profile for Christian Sinclair   Email Christian Sinclair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bend It Like Beckham was released over here in 2001 and was a big hit. I don't think it was ever intended to be the best movie ever made - just a feel good movie. It really captures summer in suburban England well and as for the Spice Girls , well there anen't any of their songs in the film, just a couple of Melanie C's who USED to be in the Spice Girls.

BTW- Her father definately wasn't a pilot... especially if they lived in Hounslow! I think by his uniform he worked for Customs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: