Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Goldmember (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Goldmember
Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 11:14 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 20 minutes too long in my opinion. The faux rap video made the flick, again, IMO.

Flava-Flav (mini-me) was the shizzneeat.

|  IP: Logged

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 02:28 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was about 90 minutes too long! Only the intro and the ending were even remotely interesting. Specific jokes were way too long (especially the rap scene, in my opinion) and mostly already done in the first two. This movie, for me, is going to rank high on all-time crappy movie list.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2002 01:14 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the whole, I liked this movie. There were definitely parts which were not funny, and they seemed to go on forever. But the parts which were funny worked really really well. I especially liked the opening sequence and the rap video. The stuff with Britney Spears was great too. All of that being said, this was the worst of the three films, and I still think that the best Austin Powers piece is Brett Ratner's video for BEAUTIFUL STRANGER. Why don't they get him to make the next picture?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 01:50 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was the best of the three.

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 04:36 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this in a packed house on opening night. I liked it. I don't ever need to see it again. I loved the parody at the beginning. The pace was off, They could have told the same jokes only faster. It's like they paused at the end of each joke seemingly saying "get it?" It should have been done much more rapid fire. It would have been fun to miss half the jokes and have to see the film again to get them all. But I don't need to see it again now do I?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:11 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/07/26 19:30, Carmike 10, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 1 THX/DTS, Scope

quote:
I saw this in a packed house on opening night. I liked it.

Same here, except I saw it on Friday night to guarantee a big crowd, which it was, and a very well-behaved one. I got a little worried after I'd read a couple of negative reviews before going to see this movie. The second Austin Powers movie is my favorite, and I'd say the first and third are about equal (very enjoyable). Next Wednesday night at my house, I'll be showing the first two Austin Powers movies to at least one person who has never seen them before, so it will be interesting to see the reaction.

I'm wondering how much the same format can be used over and over before they can't use it anymore. Have they done all they can with Austin Powers? Is the last one? Opinions anyone?

Presentation was excellent, with no notable defects in my rating system.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:34 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cadillac 5 (Goodrich), Thursday July 25th, 1/3 full 300 person auditorium, SRD.

I liked the movie (what I could see of it). The entire movie was played on a screen with non movable masking and the scope image hung over onto the black masking about 1 foot on either side. Made the subtitles nearly impossible to understand without taking a second to figure out what the first few words in the sentence were.

------------------
Adam Fraser
www.pinestheatre.com

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 05:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
07/28/2002, 12:10PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene, #4, probably SDDS. Attendance about 25. Excellent presentation except AGAIN the surrounds were not working. Lately it seems like the surrounds are out of action in all their houses.

I admit I laughed my ass off at some of the stuff. I liked this one much more than 2. The opening sequence is funny as hell. Some of the stuff is very original, but some is stale and falls flat. I guess when you're doing a joke every 10 seconds, that's to be expected.

Adam: If subtitles were cut off on the sides, that theater must be REALLY cropping the scope image badly. There was plenty of room to spare on both sides even on the longest of the subtitles.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-28-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not think the movie was as funny as the Second one. Seemed like there was just to many jokes that went to long.

There was a referance to the movie Bad News Bears This movie was released in 1976 not 1975.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2002 12:50 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious!! I didn't like the story as much as the second one, but I thought it was at least as funny, if not funnier, than the second. My favorite jokes were the Preparation H (as soon as Dr. Evil started so say something like "it has gone through several preparations," I knew exactly where he was going!) and the Styx "Mr. Roboto" reference, to which only about a dozen people out of a full house laughed.

They certainly are repeating the same types of jokes. As Ozzy said, like the rocket that looks likes someone's...Johnson. I don't know how much more they can do, but I would love to see a fourth movie.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2002 02:39 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're gonna kill off this franchise Goldmember is the way they're doing it.

All those superstar cameos? The Osbournes -- dropped in late in post-production to cash in on its hype? Pleeeze! And a lot of the humor made Goldmember a borderline R.

Another big 70's mistake: Austin going into his dad's pad in '75 with "A Fifth of Beethoven" -- which hit in '76.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2002 02:12 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Another big 70's mistake: Austin going into his dad's pad in '75 with "A Fifth of Beethoven" -- which hit in '76.

Just like "American Woman", which didn't hit until spring 1970, used in the 1969 scene in Austin Powers 2.

I saw this movie again last Saturday at Regal River Oaks Cinema 8 in Decatur, AL. Like previous Austin Powers movies, I caught more on the second viewing that I missed on the first. Presentation was perfect. They've got a good trilogy now.

------------------
Evans A Criswell

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was certainly entertained by Goldmember.

Now, having said that, I do have some thoughts...

OK ... so where was the scene with Austin walking around in the buff, with strategically placed props hiding his 'naughty bits'? Where were the random 'psychedelic interludes' between scenes?
Oh, and why was the 'melons / tits / boobs' sequence so short?

...and when this film got screened at my theater, I was the only person that caught the Styx 'Mr Roboto' joke ... made me feel old! >_<

------------------
In some cultures, what I do is considered normal.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 02:35 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the name of the song that plays when the time machine goes back to 1975?

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2002 04:50 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to remember the scene -- was that when "Shining Star" by Earth, Wind and Fire played?

------------------
Evans A Criswell

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: