Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » K-19: The Widowmaker

Author Topic: K-19: The Widowmaker
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was a big disappointment. I was expecting a lot more out of Kathryn Bigelow after STRANGE DAYS. But this thing just took forever to get where it was going, and once it got there, it really wasn't that great. I really really love Walter Murch, but he sure does like to take his sweet-ass time with things. And, boy, he's like the king of dramatic pauses. It got to be really annoying.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-21-2002 05:29 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
07/21/2002, 12:10PM, #6, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR. Probably DTS. Attendance only about 10 (yikes!). Presentation was good except once again the surrounds didn't seem to be working.

Certain actors should not do accents. Harrison Ford for example. After seeing the trailers with him doing a Russian accent, I had a bad feeling about this. But Ford and Liam Neeson both kept the accents to a minimum so that wasn't a distraction. Despite it being very melodramatic at times, I actually liked this a lot. Ford and Neeson both give excellent performances. The action sequences aboard the sub are well-done and believeable, not to mention unsettling. But I think they could have trimmed 10 mins. out of this without doing any damage. I liked the way the story remained almost totally focused on the sub and its crew and there was very minimal cutting away to the Kremlin, and none to the Americans. It must have been tempting to show the US perspective of this incident.

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 10:52 PM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; 10-15 minutes cut would have helped this film immensely. We got the point about the drills early on, for example. I enjoyed K-19, but the 3 acts were too defined. You could actually tell where one act ended and the next began.

A good film that just narrowly misses being great.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2002 06:32 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the trailer so many times I was almost sick of the movie before I got to see it. But it surprised me. Not great, but pretty good. The accents were pretty bad, though. Both Ford and Neeson messed them up several times.

I have to say this movie is exquisitely photographed. It's one of the best looking Super-35 films I've seen. I only wish they hadn't added anamorphic lens flares to the computer effects shots -- they didn't match the rest of the movie!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-08-2002 08:18 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three words...Oh my yawn.

Harrison, what the hell are you doing?

If this is the best role you can get...putting on silly make-up with an even sillier accent...no wonder you've 'made room in your schedule' to make Indiana 4.

Very sad.

------------------
"It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-31-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the title and laughed and laughed... but then realized this film could actually be good.

I liked it quite a bit, regardless of bad accents.

Anyone remember that scottish fellow, I mean russian fellow in hunt for red october? Just suspend disbelief and have a good time. So ford cant do russian, I can and no one cares a damn bit!

Good film, fun for a couple of viewings.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: