Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » 8 Legged Freaks

Author Topic: 8 Legged Freaks
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-18-2002 02:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I came close. I came REALLY REALLY close to leaving this film, but I decided to stick it through. I would venture to say this was the closest I've ever come to walking out of a movie, but actually stayed through it. Do I regret staying? All too much!

This movie was supposed to be campy and fun. At least I HOPE that is what the producers were going for, because everything from the acting and directing all the way back to the script was just horrible. Even the spiders looked terrible. The only thing that *may* have saved this movie would have been if Edward D. Wood Jr. directed it.

That should do it. I've wasted far too much of my life in watching this movie. I don't want to continue to waste more of my life writing about it. Steer clear of this piece of at all costs!

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-18-2002 10:52 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmmmm lets see David Arquete(SP?) usually equals

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:04 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys, it wasn't that bad.
I watched it tonight and rather enjoyed it.
It was supposed to be made like a "B" movie and I think it was pretty close. The CG was better than in other films I have seen.
All in all I give it a 3 star rating.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 stars out of 500, right?
I waas hoping for some fun B-Movie style homor too, but this was just unfunny.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 02:47 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This picture wasn't tremendously terrible. It was just bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but some of the stuff they did worked. Also, I'm really glad to see that a movie like this can be made, and I hope that there are more like it in the future.

But here's my question. How come Kari Wuhrer gets no respect? She's a very fine actress, but unless you count late-night cable, she's nowhere to be found. That's so unfair.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-19-2002 03:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never ran it.

OOPS.....I just found out we are running it in Stanwood.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-19-2002 04:16 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with Kari Whurer is that she has done too many nude scenes in her career, so now she is just known as a pair of nice boobs. Hard to get taken seriously that way.

Dave

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy was Brad right about this one. What a piece of The worst part is we are running this movie as a double feature with Reign of Fire!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2002 01:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
OUCH!!! Make sure you have the paramedics on the lot with that double bill Ken!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 06:13 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that's a benefit to showing 8 Legged Freaks is that it clears the field----even before the movie is over!

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 12:56 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're afraid the spiders will crash through the screen and squish everyone in the drive-in!

Why didn't the producers put in "Boris the Spider" by The Who over the end credits? Nice little song and a worthy homage to John Entwistle.

Eight Legged Freaks is worth it if you like Chucky movies. It doesn't hurt if you think death and destruction are cool (think Beavis and Butt-head).

OTOH the original title has an ominous omen: Eight Legged Freaks was originally called Arac Attack -- way too close to "Iraq Attack".

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 01:10 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt that it would have been change because of that, but ifit was, thats pretty pathetic.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of a friend of a friend worked on this film, and according to them (as filtered through 5 other people), the filmmakers and the studio were having an argument over the title of the film, and finally, someone said, "Well what do you want us to call it? Eight Legged Freaks?" And then everyone went, "Hey, wait a minute..." The line in the movie was actually added in post-production. I think they made a good choice. I would not have seen this movie if it was called ARAC ATTACK.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-02-2002 01:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw Brad,
It was meant to be seen only in Drive Inns, not hardtops. This is pure campy drive in stuff only!! Who watches films at drive inns??? Heck, even I used to hang out at the booth back when I was 10.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: