Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » House of 1000 corpses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: House of 1000 corpses
Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 08:28 AM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw on a web site that MGM had picked up this film and is releasing it in oct 2002. Has anyone else seen this.

|  IP: Logged

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 09:04 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, Rob Zombie writes & directs a movie?! If it's anything like as robotic as his live performance you'll be asleep in 30 seconds

David

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally!! I ran a preview of this before "Dracula 2000", but the film was dropped because he refused to let it be cut down from an NC-17. The preview actually looked very good, and I remember reading an advance release review that was quite favorable.

I would MUCH rather see this than the upcoming remake of "Dawn of the Dead".

I thought pre-release comments were forbidden on this board though?

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 12:15 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A remake of Dawn of the Dead? Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Have these people no SHAME?!!

David

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-15-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread should actually be in Film-Yak, not in reviews, as no one here has actually seen this movie.

Dave

Patrick McDonough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 11:24 PM      Profile for Patrick McDonough   Email Patrick McDonough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oops sorry about that.

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't feel my brain. This "movie" brings out a lot of emotions in the viewer, but none of them are good; the most prevalent of which is anger. For some reason, while watching this movie, and still as I right this review after coming home from the theatre, I feel angry, like I want to destroy something (mostly the print). This is by far the most incoherent, horrible, inane piece of rubish I have EVER seen. I would rather spend a week watching movies like Battlefield Earth, Ballistic: Ecks v. Sever, That Queerwolf movie that Brad hates, and other mindless "movies" than put myself through this again. The best part of the movie is when I had an out of frame splice at the reel 4/5 join, when I could leave the auditorium and allow my brain cells to return to functioning. Word to the wise, don't attempt to engage in any coherent thought after watching this, and certainly don't talk to somebody you don't like, because blood will be spilt you will be so angry from this "movie". [fu] Rob Zombie [puke]

Overall score of -2/10, if negatives are allowed, otherwise 0.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2003 03:18 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran it tonight but did not get a chance to sit down and watch it so I have no review. I did see about 8 minutes of the film at a Rob Zombie Concert, wich I will say kicked ass and did not put me to sleep. THe screening was part of a Radio Promo we had. It sold out.

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2003 02:35 PM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the movie did suck, but there's always the NC-17 director's cut DVD, if that ever comes out. Guess I'll wait for that now.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 07:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/13/2003, 2:00PM, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, #8,  - . Attendance about 50. In one of moviegoing's little ironies, the print was flawless and the presentation was excellent. And in what may be a first after 4 years of seeing movies at this theatre, even the analog trailers sounded very good.

When you buy a ticket to a film called "House Of 1,000 Corpses", written & directed by someone named Rob Zombie (sorry but I'd never heard of Mr. Zombie before this), you pretty much know what to expect. You don't need to check with Ebert & Roeper or get recommendations from your friends to know if you want to see it. I knew I wanted to see it, and I was not let down. The film lives up to its name, and then some. It has absolutely no redeeming social value, but is made with some wit and style. It's WAY over the top. You just know Rob Zombie is proud as heck of his little movie and I bet he called his mom to share the exciting news with her when a distributor finally picked it up (from the credits, it looks like it's been sitting on the shelf since 2000). Sue me if you want, but I liked this a lot. [Big Grin] For what it is anyway.

Notwithstanding the above, my advice is do not see this if you're squeamish or if you have no appreciation for macabre humor. Definitely do not take your kids to see it (like the idiot "parents" who brought their 5-year-old with them to this show). Do take the title somewhat literally, read the explanation of the "R" rating, and if you do decide to go, be prepared to, well, have fun. It may be rubbish, but dammit, it's quality rubbish. [Wink] Heck, a film that has Karen Black and Michael J. Pollard in it, and a Slim Whitman cover of the old Frank Ifield classic "I Remember You" in the soundtrack, has to be worth something!

The NC-17 (or more likely unrated) director's cut DVD release should be quite interesting.

Play this movie LOUD. [Wink]

[ 04-13-2003, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Rob is over the top with things. HIs concerts rock and now he is rocking as a director. During the opening credits you have Zombies title song wich made its first appearance on the Sinister Urge CD. This song he would perform in concert with clips from the movie playing. Zombie does have a tame side. He toured with Ozzy Osbourne twice first with the full blown over the top stage setup on the Merry Mayhem tour then stripped down just him and the band on the Ozzfest tour. I am looking forward to seeing his next directing effort.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2003 01:55 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
his stuff definitely isn't for the squimish....I saw this movie and loved it. I've always kinda been a fan of his type of music [Wink]

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Cinemas, Manville NJ, 4/26/2003, 3:20 PM matinee. Hall #9, attendance 15 -- about half of which came in after the start.

House of 1000 Corpses is [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown] the most pointless movie to have come out so far this year. Hearing it with platter squeak from start to finish makes it more excruciating.

Now I know why Universal and then MGM passed on this piece of [bs] The trailer was first attached to Bride of Chucky -- which came out in October 1998. At least Chucky movies are [Cool]

Rob Zombie should stick to music or at least give Beavis and Butt-head cameos in his next movie. After all, without B&B Mr. Z would never have become a star!

Presentation: Image was good given all the [bs] I had to put up with. Sound suffered from a bad mix in spots -- Hall #9 is SR only and lack of directionality is a problem with SR.

To make things worse, Hall #9 has a triple-up this week. [Roll Eyes] The previous show (What a Girl Wants) ended only 10 minutes before House of 1000 Corpses started. [Embarrassed] The next show (The Pianist) had only a 15-minute turnaround.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how did beavis and butthead make Rob Zombie a star. He was already established as the front man for the band White Zombie that started in 1985. I have to agree that the movie does suck. But it is not the most pointless movie to come out so far this year. The Real Cancun takes the cake on that one.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl: White Zombie put out its first album "La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol. 1" c. 1992. The album took off when some of the videos were in the early episodes of Beavis and Butt-head.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: