Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Harvard Man

Author Topic: Harvard Man
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had been looking forward to this movie for, like, 2 years, but I never thought I'd actually get to see it. I had heard that it was released in France about a year ago, and that it was going straight to video in America later this year. So on Thursday night, I was flipping through the local paper looking at this week's movie listings, and there it was. "HARVARD MAN. Exclusive engagement starts Friday." Upon seeing this, I said, "Holy Shit!" And then I stood up and did a little dance.

My point is that I had high expectations for this film. It didn't live up to those, but it was still a good movie. James Toback is dealing with a lot of the same issues that he touched on in BLACK AND WHITE, but here they are developed a lot further, and are much more focused.

Speaking of focus, this is something which the image that I saw projected today was out of. Nor did it have proper framing. It was also a scope movie on a screen which was about ten feet in width (which is really funny when you think about how the auditorium next door was playing a 70mm print of PATTON) But none of this has anything to do with the actual movie, so I apologize.

The performances in this film were very good. I was especially pleased to see America's most under-used and under-appreciated actress, Joey Lauren Adams. She was very good. But so was everyone else. Even Rebecca Gayheart.

The one problem which I had with the film was the editing. There are a lot of jump cuts which seem to serve no purpose other than to be cool, and the visual style of the film is too conservative to make them work. But after the inital annoyance, they can be overlooked.

On the whole, I liked this movie a lot. If you like Toback's other work, or if you have a thing for Buffy, I think you'll enjoy it.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 12:23 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I will see this when it comes out. I must add, however, that I thought that a previous Toback outing called 2 GUYS AND A GIRL was directionless, shapeless and formless. Other than that, it went nowhere.

Even though I saw it for free, I pulled the plug after reel 3 (one of the advantages of screening 2000ft reels on a changeover setup!)

Also, do you think it is possible NOT to be a Buffy fan? (Hi, John!)!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 12:43 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved TWO GIRLS AND A GUY! All three of those performances were amazing. Robert Downey, Jr. should've won the Oscar that year. The one problem I have with that movie (and it's a big one) is that the ending has pretty much nothing to do with the rest of the film.

And no, I don't think it's possible not to be a Buffy fan.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 12:54 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, maybe I should give it a second look. Of course, it helps if I get the name of the movie right!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2002 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure you get the X-rated director's cut with the additional 7 seconds of "clothed but graphic sex."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: