Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Reign of Fire

Author Topic: Reign of Fire
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 05:51 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty good picture. The photography is stunningly beautiful, and the special effects are cool. On the down side, the performances are not very good, and it gets a little plot-heavy and slow at times. But there's a certain logic to the film's structure which I found refreshing for a movie of this type.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-2002 06:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see if I can effectively describe this flick in five words.

Crap, stupid, waste of time.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Disclaimer: I walked out of this movie in reel 2. I couldn't take it any more. I only checked in on it from time to time there after and it certainly did not appear to get any better.

Further disclaimer: I have walked out of less than 10 movies in my life.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 06:17 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to add bit of clarity to Brads comments.

Crap, stupid, waste of time.

Ah, such an economy of words! The poise, the eloquence. Yep, pretty much sums up the film.

I saw this at an exhibitor screening. The only difference between mine and Brads experience was that I drove 40 miles to the screening and I couldn't leave because I had brought guests.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-12-2002 11:21 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found myself falling asleep in reel #2. Woke up in time to see a couple of dragon sequences that I found interesting.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:07 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the movie overall, some slow parts but I think it was layed out pretty good. I just didn't like the ending.

Jim Leko
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2002 05:15 AM      Profile for Jim Leko   Email Jim Leko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I wasn't getting paid to screen it, I would have walked out too. Great special effects, terrible movie.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-21-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was pretty disappointed with this show. The big problem is the poorly written script. I mean, if the dragons have completely devastated human industrial infrastructure then just how exactly are those American troops able to fuel their vehicles? With fire breathing dragons, it would seem like the oil refineries would be the first to go.

And then there's the problem of the film's pacing. Where's all the dragons and dragon fighting scenes? I just saw a lot of boring talking and stuff like that. Not much action. It kind of reminded me of how badly paced "Alien 3" was.

My guess is this film was intended to have a far grander story, but fell victim to some massive budget cuts and just tried to get by with what they could. The film might have been more plausible if most cities and infrasture was still left standing --and therefore give people something to defend. There could have been things like fighter jet dogfight sequences with multiple dragons and other cool stuff like that. But such "more interesting" things would have cost a lot more money.

I know a film is bad when I am thinking of more interesting things they could have done with the feature WHILE I am watching the film. It is just like "Twister" where the tornadoes are just out in the middle of nowhere chewing up crops and the occaisional barn. If I were going to make a big budget movie about a tornado, I would put it right through the middle of a city.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2002 03:35 AM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie contains the best computer animation I have ever seen, bar none. The dragons never look like anything but living, breathing animals. The story of how this came to be is very sad, however:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=12700

That's a letter written by an employee of Dream Quest Images, which was bought by Disney and turned into The Secret Lab, the company which did the effects for this movie. Unfortunately, Disney decided to dissolve the company after making Reign of Fire. The letter explains it all in more detail. The only thing that surprises me is when the author takes a moment to kiss WETA's ass. I find that totally baffling, because WETA's creature animation can't touch what these guys did. Why would he single them out for such praise? Still, it's a very interesting and heartbreaking read.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It always took itself seriously; never did anything in a wink-wink or tongue-in-cheek manner. The action scene at the end was extremely tense and had me on the edge of my seat. Like Bobby, I wish there had been more action, but I was still feeling rather satisfied when I left the theatre. I've always thought that dragons could make the best movie monsters, if only they were done with the proper respect, and this movie along with the early-80s film "Dragonslayer" really shows that to be the case.

Now if only there were a prequel which actually showed how the dragons took over the world!

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2002 10:45 PM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly didn't think this was horrible. The plot had more holes in it than those dragon wings, but as a straight-forward popcorn flick, it had solid action sequences, and surprisingly strong character development. The dragons (and some of the scenery) were absolutely incredible, and the film as a whole had a nice "Road Warrior" feel to it.

We pretty much know going into a film how intelligent it's going to be. We wouldn't judge "Mr. Deeds" starring Adam Sandler on the same level as "Mr. Deeds" starring Gary Cooper, for example. Having said that, comparing this with other summer films (and other fantasy films), "Reign of Fire" fares pretty well.

I also don't feel it's fair to critique a film based on only having seen 1/3rd of its running time. You should have watched just the last 2 reels, Brad!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 01:00 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We pretty much know going into a film how intelligent it's going to be. We wouldn't judge "Mr. Deeds" starring Adam Sandler on the same level as "Mr. Deeds" starring Gary Cooper, for example. "

Why not? If a movie's good, it's good. If it's crap, it's crap. Just because we think something will be good or bad doesn't mean that it should have some sort of handicap. Naturally, people do this all the time, but that doesn't mean that it's fair to do so.

John Daily
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 05:01 AM      Profile for John Daily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, but if I know going in not to expect too much, then I can enjoy the film for what it actually is, instead of what I expected or wished it to be.

Of course, some films are just stinkers no matter how you look at them!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: