Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Road to Perdition

Author Topic: Road to Perdition
Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 05:47 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this movie, but even though I know it's unfair to, I can't help but compare it to the comic book. I absolutely love the comic, and this film is very faithful to it, until it get's to the end. Then it gets all Disney-fied. This kinda sorta destroys the whole point of the original story, which I don't really have a problem with. They are two separate pieces of art by two separate artists. One doesn't have anything to do with the other. But the comic book is the much cooler of the two.

|  IP: Logged

Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 02:05 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the graphic novel is great! Disney-fied how? I thought this was a great film. The changes made helped shape the Father-son relationship a little further, I felt they sharpen it quite well

Everything on screen was beautiful.

Directing-yes, 'American Beauty' was well done but this movie blows everything away this year so far. Mendes and the cinematographer deserve the highest kudos. You know the shot in 'Minority Report' where tom cruise and the precog hug(for lack of a better word), that was 'Minority Reports' money shot. Road to Perdition is jam packed with those that blow you away but never distract from what your supposed to be following.

Acting-The cast blows you away, its all in the details. Watch the way everyone walks in this film, they tell you who these characters are. The diner scene-perfect.

Presentation- It may be just me but this film is beautiful, the tones are perfect. Great. Sound mix ruled, no problems on reel 2.

Music- Thomas Newman's score is just crazily good. Any other composer would have written a huge score, his defines how a score should be. It does not carry the film but its there at the right time in proper respect to whats on-screen.

Needless to say I enjoyed this film to no end, am I going to see it again soon, no. I'm going to give it time to settle in my bones and then run it again.

My top-pick so far this year.
There are only about a half dozen or so that may top it later this year.

------------------
I believe comic heroes walk the earth

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 02:57 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!!!

It's been a couple years since I've read the comic, and I might not get all of the facts straight, but the thing which stood out to me was that whole catholic morality loop-hole thing. I found that very intriguing. Michael O'Sullivan is protecting his son. He kills people and then immediately confesses his sins in order to have a clean slate. At the end, he is shot, and while he's dying, his son bursts in and kills the other hitman without hesitation. Since he died with a clean slate, he gets to go to Heaven. And the son, who's telling the story as an adult, has become a priest. So, in essence, the father saves the son's life, and the son saves the father's soul.

But in the movie, it's all about the father saving the son. They said what they were doing earlier in the film (it's also in all of the trailers). Michael Sullivan has killed so many people that he's going to Hell, no matter what. However, he can still save his son, both physically and morally. That's fine if that's the point that Mendes wanted to make, but I think the added dimension which the comic had made it more interesting and morally ambiguous in some ways.

As for how it's Disney-fied, well, it's like all the Disney movies where the hero (in this case, Mike, Jr.) can't kill the villain, because that would be wrong. But the villain still has to die. I hate that. It's so two-faced. It's like saying, "It's wrong to kill, but it's good that he's dead." Granted, this is not as bad as most Disney movies because, unlike those movies, Jude Law's character logically had to die. But he still wasn't killed by the hero.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-13-2002 09:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
07/13/2002, 4:30PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #3, scope, probably SDDS. Excellent presentation. Attendance probably close to 400. Regal has an exclusive on the movie here (as others have noted, Cinemark isn't running it).

Another definite Oscar-contender for Sam Mendes and Tom Hanks. Top-notch in every respect: acting, writing, cinematography, sound. Thomas Newman's score is wonderful without being intrusive. There's plenty to ponder after the show ends. It's not perfect, but it's very good and worth seeing.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 10:11 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the film was decent and I was unaware that it had been baised on a comic book (ok Graphic Novel"). That being said I really didn't see anything really original or that hadn't been done before. The only novelty is Tom Hanks playing a "bad guy" other than that, there wasn't really anything that really blew me away.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2002 10:38 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" I was unaware that it had been baised on a comic book (ok Graphic Novel")."

Michael, don't apologize for saying "comic book!" That's what it is! Besides, comic books are cool! "Graphic novel" is just a term which was invented by the industry so that adults wouldn't have to say, "I read comic books." The whole thing is really pretty goofy.

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 01:19 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Did you get the whole "comic book to Graphic novel" bit from the MST3K episode "Cave Dwellers"? (that's what that reminded me of)

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2002 03:49 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. I got it from working in a comic book store for 5 years. You could always tell when someone who didn't read many comics would come in, because they'd always say, "Do you have the graphic novel...." We'd usually make fun of them behind their backs (or to their faces), because we were a bunch of comic book snobs. Regular comic readers would usually refer to these as trade paperbacks because, with very few exceptions, they usually aren't technically "graphic novels." They're just a collection of individual issues.

I don't think I've seen that episode of MST3K but it sounds funny. I'll have to check it out. By the way, it makes me very happy that MST3K would come up in a discussion about ROAD TO PERDITION.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2002 11:38 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is why didn't I go to see this movie earlier. Definitely one of the best movies of the year. Everything was perfect. The only thing I wasn't to keen on was the kid's acting...he just didn't seen to have any real emotion in it. But that might be just me.

I bet my manager 10 bucks that this will take best picture....yea, I liked it.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2002 06:15 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just opened this week in australia.
This is a very beautiful film, but i felt a little distanced from the story and the characters, not necessarily the films fault, but it happened. So i was left with watching a beautiful film and then walking away and not thinking too much about it!
I saw this at --------------- and for the first two spools i was dissapointed to see multiple scratches all across the print and numerous dropouts in srd, but then spool 3 came and from then on perfect? i will say though, it's the first time that i've seen a scratched print at this cinema!
Overall a mixed cinema experience!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: