Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Like Mike

Author Topic: Like Mike
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-05-2002 03:50 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller on MIB2
quote:
Kodak filmstock = movie the studio expects to do well.
Fuji filmstock = movie the studio expects to bomb!

Explains why Like Mike was printed on Fuji filmstock.

Bad story, bad actors, bad movie.

|  IP: Logged

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2002 06:06 PM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with you, I thought this movie was quite enjoyable. Being a sports movie, the acting isn't usually one of the strong points of the film, however it kept my interest, and the sold-out auditorium I was in found this movie to be comical.

This film definately did not bomb, it sold-out all shows on July 3rd, and has sold out all the matinees July 4th, and today July 5.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-05-2002 07:29 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that a "bomb" denotes a film that does not make a profit. Early returns from the first few days does not ever pay for the cost of production and marketing. The real tale will be how long it takes for it to get dropped out of the top ten and how many millions it must make to be profitable.

Dave

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2002 07:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Mike isn't doing any amount of business worth mentioning around here. I can also sum up my review in three elegant words: this movie sucks!

Maybe those Delaware people like basketball???

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2002 01:01 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will say that its not a great movie, but for the region my theater is located in, it is doing very well. Advance ticket sales for Saturday, have already surpassed those of this summer's so-called "blockbusters." I'm sorry if this movie isn't doing well in your theater, however in mine it is blowing out MIB 2.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 07-07-2002 02:18 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the end of Saturday night's 7:00 showing of Like Mike I ran downstairs and asked all the people coming out of it (a grand total of 3) how they liked it. Their response... 'the only reason we saw it was because MIB2, Mr. Deeds and Minority report were already sold out when we showed up, we didn't like it at all'.

Fox arranged to have a checker at the theatre for the weekend for Like Mike. The report will go something like this, 'Saturday's 7:00pm showing: Attendence 3, tickets sold 4, apparently the one person who bought an advance ticket didn't even show up... more likely they snuck into MIB2'.

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 01:59 PM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be redundant on this topic any longer, but this movie grossed $20 million dollars over the weekend. Obviously your opinion of a bad movie is different from the entire nation's.

I highly doubt three people saw it on a Saturday night, at 7:00. No need to make up false numbers.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one. Equating box office $ to quality is probably not the best link.

Anyway those numbers that were reported could very well be accurate. Like Mike has done extremely well in Urban areas and has done fairly poorly in suburban and rural areas. (Last night at my suburban theatre we had 10 people at the 7pm show). A good friend of mine
runs an urban theatre (with approximately the same business level as my place) and when I talked to him on the phone last night he said they sold out a 400 seat auditorium for it. Just because one anecdotal story doesn't match your own anecdotal story doesn't mean that someone is lying or using hyperbole.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-07-2002 05:55 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a quote from comedian George Carlin...

"since when did Urban come to mean Black? I was never consulted on this! I never received a phone call, a letter in the mail, a notice of some kind!"

As for good returns means a good movie, dont bet on it. Like mike will be out of the first run theaters within four weeks nation wide. It will do no more than 50 million worldwide, and I am betting that the studio, who will recieve about 28 million of that figure, will not recuop the cost of production and marketing.

But hey, I was wrong on Harry Potter, I said it would do only $785 million worldwide, and it's done what... about 900 million? So maybe Like Mike is a great movie and will topple Titanic?

Dave

Jim Casterioto
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 12:21 AM      Profile for Jim Casterioto   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Casterioto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad mentioned earlier, Delaware people love basketball :-)

My theater is in the suburbs, and had no problem selling out all of the shows before 7:00, Wednesday - Sunday, so you can not stereotype the Urban vs. Suburban crowds.

John Scott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 01:11 AM      Profile for John Scott   Email John Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

You miss my point. Anecdotal evidence does not prove or disprove the box office numbers one way or the other. Claiming that someone is lying about the numbers at their location because of national numbers is wrong.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 07-08-2002 01:26 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Obviously your opinion of a bad movie is different from the entire nation's. I highly doubt three people saw it on a Saturday night, at 7:00. No need to make up false numbers.

Maybe Canadians don't Like Mike.

If I hadn't of been there I would too doubt such a turn out. I never expected such a stellar crowd!

Seriously though, the 7:00 and 9:00 shows have been dead since Thursday night. The matinees have been OK, pretty much split between Mike, Lilo and Scooby.

Glad to here that you are doing well with it. If only we could all have more basketball fans in our area.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 07-08-2002 04:19 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this movie is less about basketball and more about showcasing lil bow wow.

A basketball movie is called Hoosiers, or to a lesser extent, blue streak.

Like Mike is just goofy. My girlfriend seems to think it will be really funny from the preview and is telling me that I have to go with her. Tell me I can kill her. TELL ME!!!!

Dave

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-08-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it (and probably won't). But the previews make it pretty clear this is a kids' fantasy movie: What if a regular kid could suddenly play basketball as well as Michael Jordon? To compare it to Hoosiers seems like a stretch (but then maybe you were being sarcastic).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: