Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Real Genius

Author Topic: Real Genius
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 11:01 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

This treasure from the 80s is finally available on DVD and in widescreen! I showed this to a group of guys in their young 20s this past Saturday night to see how well it would work with them. None of them had ever seen or heard of the movie.

Real Genius was one of my all-time favorite movies from the 80s. Surprisingly, the last time I'd seen this movie was probably in 1989, with all my viewings being of the VHS version. I remember seeing it on VHS in 1986 during "Summer I" semester while I was taking a chemistry course at Jacksonville State University, since I remember talking to the chemistry professor about the ice trick they did. Finally, 16 years later, I get to see it for the first time in its original "scope" form.

I've always been fond of this movie. Mitch was 15 when he got into college. I took my first college classes at the age of 15, which gave me a reason to like this movie even more. I have sent email to all of the young guys who watched this movie with me on Saturday, asking them of their opinion of this movie (if it seemed dated, or if it worked well with the younger college-aged generation). It will be interesting to get their feedback.

I beleive Real Genius was the first Val Kilmer movie I'd ever seen.

To this day, I've remembered many of the great one-liners from the movie and have used them (or variations on them) on my friends at appropriate times. I had forgotten that some of them were from Real Genius!

Here are some of the great lines from this movie.

quote:

Mitch Taylor: The weirdest thing just happened to me.
Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you were where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
Mitch Taylor: No...
Chris Knight: Why, am I the only one who has that dream?

Chris Knight: So, if there's anything I can do for you, or, more to the point, to you, you just let me know.
Susan: Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your penis?
Chris Knight: Not right now.
Susan: A girl's gotta have her standards.

You are Chris Knight, aren't you?
I hope so. I'm wearing his underwear.

"Self realization: I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said, 'I drank what?'"

Kent Torokvei: You're all a bunch of degenerates!
Chris Knight: Oh, really? Well, what about that time I found you naked with that bowl of Jell-O?
Kent Torokvei: You did not!
Chris Knight: This is true.
Kent Torokvei: Yeah, well it was hot and I was hungry!

Chris: Kent put his name on his license plate.
Mitch: My mom does the same thing to my underwear.
Chris: She puts license plates in your underwear? How do you sit?

"Would you be prepared if gravity reversed itself? The only thing I can't figure out is how to keep the change in my pockets? I've got it. Nudity!"

"This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Kent. This is what happens to people when they get too sexually frustrated."

"Moles and trolls, moles and trolls, work, work, work, work, work. We never see the light of day. We plan this thing for weeks and all they want to do is study. I'm disgusted. I'm sorry but it's not like me, I'm depressed. There was what, no one at the mutant hamster races and we had one entry into the Madame Curie look-alike contest and he was disqualified later. Why do I bother?"

Hathaway: You still run?
Chris: Only when chased!

Chris Knight: Have you ever seen a body like this before in your life?
Decker: She happens to be my daughter.
Chris Knight: Oh. Then I guess you have.

Chris: "Put that down! Don't you know that eating cheeseburgers can give you extremely large breasts?!?!" "My God... I'm too late!"

Dr. Hathaway: Bodie, I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie: I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Dr. Hathaway: Up the voltage.

Professor Hathaway: I want to see more of you around the lab.
Chris: Fine. I'll gain weight.

Old Lady: Tell me, what's Einstein really like?
Professor Hathaway: Dead.

Mitch Taylor: Did you know there's a guy living in our closet?
Chris Knight: You've seen him too?
Mitch Taylor: Who is he?
Chris Knight: Hollyfeld.
Mitch Taylor: Why does he keep going into our closet?
Chris Knight: Why do you keep going into our closet?
Mitch Taylor: To get my clothes - but that's not why he goes in there!
Chris Knight: Of course not, he's twice your size - your clothes would never fit him!

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Geof Abruzzi
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 12:26 PM      Profile for Geof Abruzzi   Email Geof Abruzzi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very fine movie, and based on a lot of true incedents at CalTech:
http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~erich/real_genius_refs.html

Geof

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 02:32 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Geof. Thanks for the link. I had no idea there were so many references to real events in that movie.

Aaron Haney
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 10:31 PM      Profile for Aaron Haney   Email Aaron Haney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, "Pacific Tech" in this movie is clearly meant to be CalTech.

There is a guy down the hall from me at work who is a CalTech grad. He doesn't keep up with popular culture at all, and if you ask him about a movie that was released in the last 20 years, chances are he hasn't seen it. However, when I asked if he had seen Real Genius, his face immediately brightened, and he said "yes!". I imagine a lot of CalTech grads know this movie well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: