Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Mr. Deeds

Author Topic: Mr. Deeds
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 09:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My first review post!

Regal Cinemas Royal Palm 18 -- Sat. June 29, 7:35pm -- Auditorium 11
DTS sound -- Full house, about 275 people. Took my mom out for her birthday and she didn't want to make me sit through Ya Ya Sisterhood!

MOVIE: Not really laugh-out-loud funny. The humor was a lot more subtle than the Sandler movies everyone is used to. (There's a line about dotting your T's and crossing your I's that no one laughed at.) A lot of the funny scenes were in the trailer, but they saved a few good ones. Overall, the film was lacking punch and the story seemed thin, but a nice little movie that's enjoyable and upbeat. My mom liked it.

PRESENTATION: It's disappointing to visit the theater I got my start at to see "Film Done Good Enough." The DTS track was visible. It was on the masking, but still visible. The left edge of the frame sometimes didn't reach the masking and a sharp white line was visible. No policy after the trailers. Splices were sometimes rough and there were several in a row around reel #3 with gobs of dirt all over. (On the SECOND DAY! )Automation cues were placed in the MIDDLE of the frame.

PRINT QUALITY: Noticed a lot of negative dirt and color shifting between reels. (end of reel 1 had seveal fames that were completely tinted green) Speaking of green, I noticed the changeover cues were hollow green circles. Could this be a dye-transfer? (and if so, why?) Only one "lab/factory" splice in reel 4 in the center of the frame.

SCORE:
Movie: *** / ****
Presentation: ** / ****
Print Quality: ** / ****

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 01:24 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Thursday night, I was talking to my co-worker about how Marvel Comics was planning on doing a crossover between The X-Men and G.I. Joe. He said that that would be #34 on the list of the worst ideas of all-time. I asked him what #1 was, and he said the video for No Doubt's "Hey, Baby", which he claimed offended 3 of the 5 senses. Sight, sound, and he wasn't sure of the third one, but he thought that he detected a strange odor coming from his TV set.

Later that night, we screened MR. DEEDS. His reaction was simple. "We have a new #1." I tend to agree with him.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-30-2002 01:46 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about Mr. Deeds is that it's about 60 minutes shorter than almost everything else I'm running.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2002 01:12 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched this on Friday night because I was bored and playing hooky from work. But boy was it bad.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-03-2002 11:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were two funny parts....rescueing the cats from the fire, and his servant that was bery sneaky. Other than that it reminded me of the old Jerry Lewis films.
MArk @ GTS

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2002 09:56 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Tuturro is a stud. A very funny stud.

------------------
"Asleep at the switch? I wasn't asleep, I was drunk!" - Homer Simpson

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 12:58 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of those movies you have to watch with a big audience in order to enjoy it.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2002 05:43 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had sell out crowds with this movie at the drive-in, but guess what? For a comedy no one was laughing! I've run it several times and it's just not funny---it sucks.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2002 09:18 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/07/12 19:05, Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 8 (1.85:1-only - no adjustable screen masking), Flat film.

This showing I attended was packed (almost sold out) and there was lots of laughter and I found the movie to be very funny and enjoyable, and judging by the reaction of the audience, most others felt the same way. Of course, if I'd seen this in a nearly empty house, I wonder if my impression of the movie would be the same. I rate this as one of the better Adam Sandler movies I've seen, although this one isn't as good as Waterboy was.

Presentation notes: Regal Policy trailer was a scope version, although everything else was flat. The trailer was squeezed in horizontally by a factor of 2 with the top and bottom cropped. The shutter timing was a little off. In the lower third of the image, upward smearing of credits was noticeable, with the smearing being 6 inches to a foot on the screen. Otherwise, everything was fine.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2002 12:00 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it with Adam Sandler movies? Big Daddy was good for 4 1/2 reels and wimped out in the last 1 1/2. Mr. Deeds was good for 4 reels and wimped out in reel 5.

I will admit I liked the part where Deeds rescued the old lady's cats. Every cat lover should pay homage to Adam Sandler for that alone.

Except for the cat rescue scene most of the good parts were in the trailer. It was good to see Deeds on the tennis court smash a return into the other guy's throat. That's a nice big "f%&@ you" to all the "Film Snobs" out there.

That said, this is NOT a movie for children! I saw Mr. Deeds on a Sunday night 7:10 PM show at the Reading Cinemas in Manville NJ. A father led his little daughters run in and out of the auditorium all the way through. Apparently he didn't want to hire a babysitter or take his girls to a kid picture.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: