Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Ghostworld

Author Topic: Ghostworld
Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 06:36 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just opened in australia!.
I have been looking foward to seeing this film for quite a while now.
Directed by Terry Zwigoff , starring Thora Birch and Steve Buschemi.
My only complaint with Ghostworld was that i didn't want it to end/wanted more , i'm very glad they didn't have a rosy ending though.
Enid (thora birch) has just finished high school and with her best friend plan to share a flat together, the realities of life after school are somewhat diffrent to what she expected and her world soon crumbles , she forms a strange friendship with seymour (buschemi), both having a desire to find love. a marvelous production results in a wonderful film. i highly recomend this film .

|  IP: Logged

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2002 03:33 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I thought this film was excellent.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 04:41 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought GW captured the dawning of that horrible adolescent realisation that the world doesn't allow us to do we like all the time better than any movie I can recall. Great stuff, and thoroughly charming too (but am I the only one who had to cringe a little when seeing aspects of myself in the record dude?!)

David

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 01:36 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David said:

"but am I the only one who had to cringe a little when seeing aspects of myself in the record dude?!"

No, you're not the only one!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 09:09 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw this tonight - loved it!

There were several things I related to closely in this movie, and felt that in each instance, THEY TOTALLY NAILED IT - SPOT ON.

For example, the art class is exactly how it went for me at uni, the whole Seymour thing, and the whole 'authentic blues' thing at the club was uncanny. Perfect! Not to mention the whole 'dating' thing in which you ask yourself whether you look for someone like yourself or settle for someone nice and warm but who doesn't really 'get' you. Probably the only movie I've ever seen to tackle this one. The fact that they also got it right is a revelation.

When it comes down to it, this type of movie is always going to do it for me much more than any Star Wars type movie ever will, yet you don't see people lining up around the block to be the first to see movies like Ghost World, do you? Nor does it become a news item on television just to announce its presence, or become one of the top grossing films of all time. What a shame.

If my preference for films like this over 'bigger' films makes me more similar to Seymour than the general populace - with all the requisite trappings that go (or more precisely, don't go) with it - then so be it.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 09:47 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone stay to see the final scene at the very end of the credits?.

*SPOILER*
edited for the spoiler sign ,note...i have to remember next time!
Buschemi kick's butt!!.

Micheal , go see THE TRACKER (rolf de heer), it's my pick for film of the year!.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 10:06 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

*SPOILER*

Yes, I stayed until the end and saw that! Speaking of the end, I felt that the ending would have been just as good if the credits rolled after she sees the guy get on the bus. There is a fade out there - that would have been a great ending too. She didn't need to do it herself; that was understood already. A small suggestion.

Is 'The Tracker' out yet, or has it come out and I've missed it?

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal , the tracker opens aug 8th in australia !.
Does this mean i've violated as well?? , i'm sorry if i have, it's more of a recomendation for micheal.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: