Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Lilo & Stitch

Author Topic: Lilo & Stitch
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-26-2002 05:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
06/26/2002, 12:20PM, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, #3, SR-D, flat. Attendance about 50. Soft focus, volume was barely adequately loud, and the right-surround channel wasn't working.

This was a very enjoyable animated movie, suitable for adults as well as kids. Speaking of kids, there were lots of them in the audience and the movie seemed to hold their attention very well, even though the pacing is not nearly as frantic as many other kids' movies. Cleverly done and different. Recommended.

|  IP: Logged

Gracia L. Babbidge
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2002 07:45 PM      Profile for Gracia L. Babbidge   Author's Homepage   Email Gracia L. Babbidge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly enjoyed screening 'Lilo & Stitch'!

I second the above recommendation!

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2002 01:03 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's something about this movie that struck an emotional chord with me. I don't know why. But it's sweet. Also, it's not often that you see a Disney movie in which a little girl punches another little girl in the face. That's always a good thing. Definitely worth watching.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-27-2002 10:03 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Lilo was a little brat, wasn't she?

I sat through most of the movie in alternating states of amusement and shock.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2002 10:29 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/06/30, Regal River Oaks Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 7, DTS, Flat, Animated

After all the positive reviews and such, I admit I enjoyed the movie, but I didn't find it to be as great as I expected. It was just too "way out" for me. I avoided reading parts of reviews that revealed any part of the story, so I went into the theatre knowing absolutely nothing about it.

Post edited [2002/07/02 22:02 CDT] due to controversy caused by a statement made:

Original statement that started World War III:

quote:

The presentation was absolutely perfect, with no notable defects at all, which is the norm for Regal River Oaks in Decatur. Ralph Freehauf, the manager, should be cloned.

New statement:

quote:

The presentation was absolutely perfect, with no notable defects at all, which is the norm for Regal River Oaks in Decatur. Ralph Freehauf, the manager, as well as his staff, are to be congratulated.

Also, the new statement avoids the cloning controversy.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2002 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahem, that manager did not build nor thread up your show Evans. Sure the manager decides who to put into booth and has a general say so over how things are done, but it's that crew of projectionists who are actually handling the film and not making the mistakes that you need to be thanking.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-01-2002 03:22 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Far be it for me to speak as an authority on the issue of who is most responsible for good presentation at Evans' Regal or any other "unknown to me" multiplex. However, I have observed that at the local Regal 8-plex, the "general manager" does indeed work the booth. I don't know who builds the prints, but the g.m. does thread up and run the shows sometimes, which makes her responsible for the overall presentation quality on a show-by-show basis, at least when she's on duty. She typically runs the booth at early matinees when business is slow and their staffing is very minimal. (If you're wondering how I know this, Regal's auditoriums have HUGE booth ports and the projector & the person running it are clearly visible from the auditorium).

On the other hand, I doubt our Cinemark 17-plex "general manager" spends much time in the booth at all, and I highly doubt he would ever run any shows himself (though theoretically he probably knows how), let alone build a print or do other booth work.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2002 03:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If the managers run the booth and do a good job, then that's great. However, Evans was pointing out one particular manager. That one guy couldn't possibly be there to run every single show. My comment was mainly geared toward the whole generic and far overused "the manager does a fantastic job" bs on aspects of the theater that he/she never has anything to do with first hand. Always give proper credit where credit is truly due.

This discussion regarding managers getting full credit for a good presentation (and as such, leaving the projectionists out of it) is being continued in FHF/who sets the tone at your theatre

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2002 08:03 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone chooses to se my thread Lilo & Stitch TAP style reviews in Film-Yak.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: