Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Bourne Identity

Author Topic: The Bourne Identity
Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2002 12:59 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow this movie was a definate surprise! I usually go in very early to buildup/screen prints and I was very tired, but this movie did not make me doze off. Damon does a great job, as does Potente (Go Lola!) and a great supporting cast. It's shot and edited very well and has a great soundtrack. I don't there think there was one slow moment in the movie. The romance works, the action scenes are great, and it made me even more excited to go to Paris this summer which I am going for two weeks.

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too liked The Bourn Identity. I'm glad it made you hungry to go to Paris. But The Bourn Identity was filmed in Prague, Czechoslovakia because it was 1/5th the cost of Paris. Don't worry, you won't be dissapointed with Paris.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2002 04:06 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really? I'm reading it was filmed in Paris, Prague, Italy, and Greece.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-23-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this one. I'm not too hot for Matt Damon, but I'm a huge Franka Potente admirer.

I just can't figure out what the big deal about the car chase is. I mean, yeah, it was unique, but it wasn't Ronin.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2002 03:22 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just can't figure out what the big deal about the car chase is. I mean, yeah, it was unique, but it wasn't Ronin.

c'mon! It was a MINI. I can't see that without thinking of Mr. Bean and laughing to myself.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2002 08:11 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that car chase was sort of a recent rip-off of "Ronin", in Paris no less. The high spot of the trailer was when the itty-bitty car flies off the top of the stairs and hits down on its front bumper, all filmed from below. I don't think that shot made the movie. As I recall, in the movie they use a shot from above, which was not as effective.

I was not impressed overall with the movie because of the lack of plot/character depth and music. A good James Bond would have been better... loud machine-gun fire and wild chases don't make a good spy thriller. I also didn't see the any chemistry between Matt's character and Franka Potente. They were just using each other and Matt seemed a little reluctant at that.

Will Morrow
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2002 12:01 PM      Profile for Will Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Will Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with the above, I too missed chemistry between the two stars of this film. I couldn't feel for them at all, and I think that is what made this film boring for me. I just didn't care what happened.

Another annoying trend I am seeing (hearing rather) in movies is the sound scare. I hate this. I hate have quiet, suspenseful soundtracks interupted by a very loud crash, boom or bang. Not only does it hurt my ears, and make my heart race for no real reason, but it freezes me for a moment causing me to be distracted from the movie.

I don't like it, and I wish it would stop! :-)

Bourne gets 1.5 out of four stars, for the scenery and having the "save the last dance" girl in it. LOL

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2002 12:13 AM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was definitely disappointing. I expected a lot more out of Doug Liman. I think that it was fairly well made, but when I got to the end, I thought, "OK. So that's who he is. Who really gives a rat's ass?" That being said, I think that the sequels will be good. At the very least, they'll be different.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2002 07:14 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
06/24/2002, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, #9, scope, DTS, attendance about 25. The presentation was okey-dokey but the optical sound in that house sounds bad during the trailers.

Overall I liked it. Matt Damon isn't one of my favorites but he was OK in this role. Franka Potente was good. The pacing was fast and things never seemed to drag. The car chase seemed fairly routine. I give it a marginal thumb up. A also agree with Will that "sound scares" were overused in this movie.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 10-11-2002 11:29 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked this movie. Its cool, sinister style anf the music reminds me of French criminal movies. Aptly, since it is set in France. Part of it is definitely filmed in Paris. It also reminded me very strongly of a French movie called "Le Professionel" (1981) even though the novel which it is based on is not credited in "The Bourne Identitiy". Here Jean-Paul Belmondo plays a French agent ("Josselin Beaumont"="Jason Bourne", quite a similarity of names) who is sent to kill an African dictator. But the political climate changes and he is betrayed by the Secret Service. After some time in an African prison, he escapes and returns to Paris to take revenge. It is a very good movie, you should see it if you can get it on video.
Michael

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: