Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Bad Company

Author Topic: Bad Company
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-09-2002 08:43 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
06/09/2002, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #8, 12:15PM, scope, probably DTS. Attendance about 20. The good news: Looks like they FINALLY did something about daylight leaking in through the booth and washing out part of the screen (this end of the booth is open to the lobby). Yay - Only took 7 years! The bad news: The surrounds were not working. Probably saving energy.

Anthony Hopkins is veteran CIA. Chris Rock plays twins, one of whom was working with the CIA to recover a suitcase-size nuclear device from a Russian black market seller. That twin (the serious one) gets killed. Hopkins recruits the other unwilling twin to take his place. Of course the other twin is the opposite: a street hustler. Hopkins has 9 days to get Rock ready to take the place of the dead brother.

Yawn. ZZZzzz. There is not a single new idea in this movie. It was built around the pairing of Hopkins and Rock and that's about all there is to it. Oh yeah, there's a lengthy extended climax involving endless chases and double crosses, but there's never any doubt how things will turn out. Some of the computer-related detail stuff is silly. Many of Chris Rock's one-liners fall completely flat. Hopkins makes the most of his role and is worth watching as usual, but he doesn't have much to work with.

Bad Movie.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2002 09:21 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The movie is a piece of crap. Long crap at that. Someone claiming to be from BV actually called tonight asking for our grosses for the weekend on this film. I never give out grosses to anyone over the phone. He seemed stunned.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2002 02:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must ask David, did you actually think the movie would even be partially enjoyable going into it? The trailer looked incredibly bad and Bruckheimer hasn't done anything non-Bruckheimerish and entertaining since "The Ref".

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2002 03:50 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must ask..

Brad, you didn't like " The Rock "?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-10-2002 10:15 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expected nothing more than a decent spy caper story hung around the framework of unlikely allies Hopkins & Rock. Didn't even get a decent spy caper. In fact the trailers pretty much tell you everything you need to know about this movie. It really is bad.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-10-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rock? No I was generally bored. All of those movies are just Top Gun made over and over with differing situations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: