Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Insomnia

Author Topic: Insomnia
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 05:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemark 17, Spfld OR. Good presentation except there was a slight wavering in brightness uniformity across the screen. Hard to describe. In SR-D and as usual at this theatre, there was not much deep bass (but some).

This is a great multilayered murder mystery. Al Pacino and partner are LA detectives sent to a small town in Alaska to help the local cops solve a murder. Solving that murder is just part of the story. Pacino brings along a lot of personal "issues" with him and this stuff intertwines with the murder investigation in unexpected ways. Hilary Swank plays a local junior detective who loves her work and practically worships Pacino and treats him as a mentor, then finds out he's not all that perfect. Robin Williams (who doesn't show up until around reel 4) plays the killer and man is he creepy. He needs to do more dramatic roles and fewer crap movies like Death To Smoochy. Everyone was great, the story is well-written (actually a remake of another film), cinematography really captures the small-town feel of Alaska (but was shot in Canada).

Highly recommended.

Also nice to go back to the "real 35mm film look" after OD'ing on Ep2.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2002 01:48 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great film, but a little toooo long. I believe they could have trimmed off about 25 minutes and still kept it interesting. Dark print, but it could have been the bulb or bad reflector at the theatre that I saw it at.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2002 09:07 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The perfect movie to cure your insomnia...j/k, had to.
I just saw it and I really liked it. The story was great, and kept me thinking. Robin Williams does need to do more of these kind of movies, he comes across really creepy. Pacino played his role very well, as did everyone.
Don, it might have been the theatre, cause the print i saw was pretty bright, though I saw it in a smaller theatre.

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2002 03:37 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel said: Robin Williams does need to do more of these kind of movies

...Just wait until "One Hour Photo" comes out. Its going to be his best movie I think. (I'm hoping at least!)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-02-2002 08:18 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, the Robin Williams part came off really well. I found myself able to forget that he's spent most of his career playing light comedy roles: unlike, say, Rock Hudson playing a romantic lead, when you just cannot forget that he's gay.

The idea is hardly original: not only is the script adapted from an earlier Norwegian film but there are obvious similarites to Bad Day at Black Rock and In the Heat of the Night (incomer uncovering dark secret in remote insular town). Nevertheless the production values work well and I was especially impressed with Hilary Swank.

What was the flying boat used in the opening scene? Are they still in service anywhere?

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2002 09:29 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just opened today in australia.
This is a very good film, i loved it!
I can't wait for his next film!

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 12-31-2002 02:43 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so tired when I saw this film, I kept falling asleep... [sleep]

Really though, Staying away when you are exausted is hard to do when watching a film about someone who cannot get any sleep.

I did really love the study of insomnia in this film, and how it can affect your perception of reality, and your better judgement.

I loved it, and will watch it again when I get some better sleep.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: