Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-26-2002 10:58 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep Thoughts about Ep1 & Star Wars in general.

My living room. Sony 53" HDTV-capable rear-projection TV in 16:9 enhanced mode. Sony progressive-scan DVD player, component video out. Dolby Digital 5.1 with sub.

I think I saw this twice in theaters. Can't really remember for sure. In fact, I couldn't remember much at all about the movie except the pod race. The movie left pretty much no impression on me. Since I kind of like Ep2, I decided to pick up the Ep1 DVD and give it another try.

Watching this in my living room, I was able to get into the story much better than I had previously. Ep1 and Ep2 both are so rich in technical image wizardry etc. that on the first couple of viewings, I tend to focus completely on the wizardry and not on the story. And both Ep1 and Ep2 have plenty of story detail that demands the viewer pay attention to that as well. So, as for the story, I think Lucas has actually done a great job at turning the clock back to the beginning and telling a tale that holds together well with everything we already know.

Now as far as why Ep1 was hated by so many, I believe that comes down to 2 things: Jake Lloyd's performance as the young Anakin, and Jar Jar Binks.

Naturally I was paying close attention to Jar Jar and the Gungans in general. When the movie first came out I didn't hate Jar Jar and I find that 3 years later I still don't hate Jar Jar. All the talk about racial stereotyping etc. seems like a bunch of baloney to me. Yes he's obnoxious, but he adds a comic touch to the film that it needed (and which may be missing from Ep2). Call me crazy if you want but I like Jar Jar's contribution to this movie.

I remember a lot of people were critical of Jake Lloyd's performance as Anakin. Like Jar Jar, I have no problem with him either. He's kind of obnoxious and precocious (sp?) but so what? I mean, he's going to grow up to become Darth Vader for crying out loud! He was a good choice for the role.

The DVD image quality is fantastic. I saw not a single white or black speck anywhere. Colors are rich, detail is excellent, etc. Sound quality is also first-rate and the mix is similar to Ep2 (should be since it's supervised by Gary Rydstrom & Ben Burtt, same as Ep2). This DVD will put your home theater system to the test.

One other thing I want to mention is Lucas's frame composition. Scene after scene in this movie use the ENTIRE width of the scope frame. I love that, wish more directors would shoot their pseudo-scope movies that way. Lucas obviously likes a true widescreen visual experience.

Ep1 ties in well with Ep2, and it's remarkable how similar they are in "look". I expected Ep1 to already look dated compared to Ep2 but that is definitely not the case at all.

If you had problems with Ep1 and also haven't seen it lately, give it another try and see if your opinion changes.

[Oh yeah, I think I like the digital Yoda in Ep2 better than the analog Yoda]

|  IP: Logged

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2002 10:01 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two Saturdays ago (May 11, I believe), I showed Episode 1, 4, and 5 to some people. It was two days after my new 57 inch 16:9 TV came in.

Episode I looked fantastic after SVM was disabled in the set ("Pro" mode, unlike previous Sony sets where "Movie" mode disables it). That did away with the artificial-looking edge enhancement. The pod race scene is the most requested scene for demonstrating the set, and everyone has commented on how great it looks.

I liked Episode I. It was the first Star Wars movie that I got to see in theatres when it was actually released for the first time. Back in 1997, I saw the Star Wars special editions in theatres when they were released and to be honest, I never cared for any of the Star Wars movies until January 31, 1997 when I saw Star Wars twice that day in two different theatres (Madison Square 12, free (a Silicon Graphics thing where they bought out an auditorium and gav e tickets away to local sysadmins that used SGIs), and Hollywood 16). After that, I loved the Star Wars movies.

Although I tremendously enjoyed Episode I, it is hard for me to just "chunk it into the same basket" with Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. The first three movies felt like they belonged together, but Episode I does not have the same "look and feel" at all when compared to the first three, which is understandable, since 16 years of special effects technology separated them. Episodes I and II feel like they belong together, so it will be interesting to see if Episode III can somehow be a transition that will make the new episodes transition into the look and feel of the older ones.

As for the Jar Jar issue, although the overwhelming majority of the population hates the character, I don't have strong feelings one way or the other. He seems to be there for comic relief -- to make some scenes more comical and less tense. Or maybe he was there just so Lucas could show off his ability to make a totally computer-generated character that interacts fairly intimately with other characters. Who knows?

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-15-2002 01:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe he [Jar Jar] was there just so Lucas could show off his ability to make a totally computer-generated character that interacts fairly intimately with other characters.

I would bet that's the case. Lucas keeps saying that digital actors will never replace humans, but I think he lives for that day.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-10-2012 02:18 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 3526 days since the last post.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2012 02:18 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note this review is for the 3D re-release.

Cinemark Movies 14, Mishawaka, IN
Auditorium 14, RealD 3D
Presentation: Good, except for the low volume level of the feature. This thing needs to be CRANKED.

What more can one say about this movie? As for the 3D version: it was subtle 3D and cool at times but really added nothing great to the overall experience. The sound mix was good but the volume of it was much too low. The trailers that preceded the feature all sounded great and very dynamic. A few notches up on the fader would have fixed this.

Overall, it's still Star Wars on a big screen where it belongs. Keep them coming!

AJG

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 04:21 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that as well with the sound - horrible mix where the other channels were overpowering the center channel..

Looked like they dug up an original print stock that had started to fade when they did this conversion-so much red tint in the image.

My original 1999 film presentation looked tons better than this bloated 3D gimmick nonsense.

But "wow!" .. Now opened seven Star Wars movies on their opening day - from 1977 and continuing tonight with the mids.

-Monte

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 04:36 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really disappointed the sound wasn't redone for 7.1 (wasn't it originally a 6.1 anyways). The sound did not get my attention at all.

I agree about the 3D as well. I really expected the pod race to look amazing in 3D, but I was very underwhelmed. This is not going to make a strong case for the other 5 movies being released in 3D.

I have not watched Episode I for a few years and I had forgotten just how pitiful the dialog was in much of the movie.

quote: Monte L Fullmer
But "wow!" .. Now opened seven Star Wars movies on their opening day - from 1977 and continuing tonight with the mids.
What about the Special Edition releases in 1997? If you're counting this 3D release, you have to count those.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-10-2012 10:18 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
I really expected the pod race to look amazing in 3D, but I was very underwhelmed.
Isn't this sentiment par for the course with "Star Wars" in general these days? Frustrated expectations..?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-10-2012 11:09 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Justin Hamaker
Special Edition releases in 1997
Yep..forgot about these releases - had issues back then where I was working at the time and pushed that out of my memory ..

True, 10 "Star Wars" openings.

They should have let Legacy do the conversion as they did with the Disneys instead of this Prime Focus group.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2012 12:55 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a clip somewhere online, I think Entertainment Weekly, in which George talked about not liking gimicky 3D, but rather having it be more subtle. He definitely got that, and some shots did look pretty cool. Overall though, that depth effect I was hoping for, especially in the pod race, was just not there like the Lion King had.

I'm going to see it again in 2D, and this time ask the theatre to turn up the volume for the feature. As it was last night, my Blu-ray and LaserDisc both beat the pants off of the audio experience in the cinema.

AJG

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-10-2012 10:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
With trailers still being mixed way too loud, any theater that doesn't invest in at least some sort of halfway decent automation will suffer the fate of this Cinemark.

As you have stated, this lack of proper fader control will ultimately be the death of theaters because you said it yourself...the sound presentation was better at home!

BTW does anyone know if George is now stating that he WISHED he could've shot Star Wars in 3d, but the technology just wasn't there at the time to support his vision?

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2012 11:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the link to the aforementioned story.

quote:
George Lucas talks 'Phantom Menace' in 3-D and how James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis helped to make it happen -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
by Dalton Ross

If you’re excited to see The Phantom Menace in 3-D when it opens in theaters tomorrow, then perhaps you have James Cameron and Robert Zemeckis to thank. According to George Lucas in the exclusive video below, it was the three men’s joint desire to see updated theater projectors that ultimately led Lucas to adding a third dimension to his space saga. “I was trying to get digital projectors in the theaters,” explains Lucas. “Bob Zemeckis and Jim Cameron came and said, ‘Look, we want to get 3-D into the theaters and now that you got digital theaters you can actually do that. Would you join us in showing the theater owners that you can do 3-D?’” Lucas agreed only so that the theater owners would face increased pressure to upgrade to digital projectors. But then: “When I saw the test that we did — which was about five minutes long — of Star Wars in 3-D, I realized how great it was.”
Audiences will get to see for themselves starting tomorrow. Click on the video below to hear more of George’s thoughts on 3-D (“I don’t like the gimmick part of it. I don’t like things coming out into the audience.”), and why he’s excited about a whole new generation getting to see Star Wars on the big screen.

The whole thing is unfortunate because every movie I've seen in there since the switch to digital has had no sound problems. I have noted that the re-release films I saw last year and this year (Lord of the Rings, Lion King, and now Episode I) all had mixes mixed much lower than the trailers.

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-11-2012 11:46 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a little to me like people playing with the fader levels at the theater.

For instance, I pretty much don't see movies at theaters when visiting Colorado Springs anymore. It doesn't matter if it is Carmike or Cinemark. They all turn down the sound way the hell too low so it has the dynamics of a 19" black and white Philco TV set.

Colorado Springs' population has a pretty large percentage of older, right wing conservative, evangelists in its demographic. IMHO, certain people in this group are more likely to raise hell if the theater audio is running at anything above talking volume. Lawton has a decent percentage of the same people here and they do the same "you're going to destroy my hearing" bitching if the sound is dynamic. The difference is the Carmike theater here plays the movies much closer to reference level, despite the complaints. In Colorado Springs theaters you'll be struggling to hear what anyone is saying since the sound is so freaking low.

Much of the problem would be solved if those assholes making the movie trailers and TV commercials would tone down the sound in those things. But they won't do it. The same damn thing occurs in television broadcasts. You're watching a show in HD with DD 5.1 audio. Then it goes to commercial and you have to turn down the sound because the TV spot is too damned loud.

If anything has changed in the last year or two in Colorado Springs I wouldn't know about it. I confined my movie-going to the Cinemark's IMAX theater. But since that screen has gone LieMAX "digital" I won't bother with it anymore either.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
trying to figure out where to see this, the Barco 3D system over at Fairfax Corner is nowhere as bright as on the XD screen at the Egyptian. The audio on the ETX screen is amazing on Tysons screen, but the brightness can be hit or miss. Uptown's screen is decent since it's 2.35, but the bowing edges bother me. hmmmm... where should I go??

Yes Justin, the DVD and bluray are encoded in 6.1 sound, why a 7.1 mix couldn't be created for this release is befuddling.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-11-2012 09:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Goeldner
the Barco 3D system over at Fairfax Corner is nowhere as bright as on the XD screen at the Egyptian. The audio on the ETX screen is amazing on Tysons screen, but the brightness can be hit or miss....

Definitely bulb changes were needed for this opening to get the best on the screen...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: