Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » New Guy, The

Author Topic: New Guy, The
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/05/13 19:00, Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 2, DTS, Flat

This comedy worked for me. I really like D. J. Qualls. I felt his performances really added life to "Road Trip" and after all, he is the brother of Eric Qualls who used to manage the Carmike 10 here in Huntsville, AL! After surviving cancer, he delivers hilarious performances. Can you believe he was once very overweight? He was dignosed with Hodgkins Disease and went through surgery and two years of chemotherapy. I have much admiration for him. Some of his antics really crack me up.

I enjoyed the music used in the movie. Some of those songs were really popular when I was in junior high and high school and brought back some good memories.

Even without any audience to speak of (maybe one or two other people), I laughed plenty of times. This comedy may not work well for everyone, but it surely worked for me.

There are outtakes at the beginning of the credits.

The presentation was excellent, and there were absolutely no distractions, mainly due to me picking a relatively dead theatre on a weeknight, which is something I rarely do for a comedy.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

Jacob Huber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 12:14 AM      Profile for Jacob Huber   Email Jacob Huber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really dreading this movie, considering it spent over a year in the can and all I read were horrible reviews. Maybe going in there with such dread caused me to be surprised and like it (it worked with me and The Mexican). This movie could have gotten rid of a few things, but all in all, it worked really well, especially with the list of cameos. 6.8/10

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 12:33 PM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This movie was terrible. I walked out half way through, because I just couldn't stand to watch this movie anymore.

I had been waiting for this one, as Sony had kept pushing it back, all the way from last April. But, I think they should have just sat on this one.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2002 04:00 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In retrospect, after thinking about it for a day, I admit that the movie wasn't that great. I think my bias toward liking the movie was because of what I know about D J Qualls.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it recently on StarZ and I must say the scene with Eliza Dushku and the swimsuits was BEAUTIFUL [Smile]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-24-2003 09:52 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mr. Hunter [Big Grin]

I haven't watched this cinematic masterpeice yet as I think the trailer showed enough for me but maybe I can pick up a copy at my video rental store for 99 cents and see for my self how good it is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: