Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » spiderman (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: spiderman
Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2002 12:51 AM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just got in . screend spiderman tonight
the only redeeming thing about this pic
is Kirsten Dunst in the rain

luv dem wet clothes

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-03-2002 07:37 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an observation. Spiders spin their webs out of their back end instead of their wrists. So wouldn't it have been more anatomically correct to have Peter Parker fly through the air pulling his finger to make spider webs shoot out of his butt?

Rachel Gilardi
Madam Moderator

- posted 05-03-2002 10:54 PM      Profile for Rachel Gilardi   Email Rachel Gilardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but that just wouldn't be cool. Plus, as far as marketing goes, would you buy your kids toys that they need to shot out of their butt? I think not...

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-03-2002 11:01 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
now if Spiderman did that in the comic book it would make sense. All in All I liked the film. Was what I was expecting.

Arthur Reebel
Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 12:38 AM      Profile for Arthur Reebel   Email Arthur Reebel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got in from watching this film and all I have to Say is that i thought it was incredible

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 06:35 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was disappointed. Started off good, but this Green Goblin thing turned me off. I thought the movie dragged in the middle. Lots of Saturday matinee chatter time during the dialog. I will admit, I am not a super hero, die-hard fan. Casting was excellent.

Attended in a large AMC theater. Surprised that the light output was not up to SMPTE standards (my eyes are calibrated). How did the cinematography look to anyone else? The colors looked better on my home TV watching the trailer. It could have just been my location.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 12:05 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Spiders spin their webs out of their back end instead of their wrists."

Boy you can sure tell who read the mags and who didn't
Peter parker made the gizmos that hooked on his wrists to shoot his webs from, like a gambler's hold out. They weren't part of his physical alteration, at least in the comic book.

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2002 12:24 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And attached to these gizmos were little tubes that les straight to....never mind.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-04-2002 02:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was well-received at our theaters. The kids liked it.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-04-2002 06:25 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I did notice the back pack thingie and wrist tubes were missing from the movie. The physical alteration item where he actually shoots the spider silk out of his wrists just made me think of the farting webs thing. It might be funny for a parody. I have some old Spiderman comic books up in my attic, including issues #100 and #200. I wonder what they're worth now?

Brent Mahaney
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 04:53 PM      Profile for Brent Mahaney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My single complaint about the film is that Peter Parker's character is a bit inconsistent with his comic book counterpart. The die hard fans know that Parker has always been portrayed as misunderstood, and he is also very quiet. He's usually thinking rather than talking. But at the end, we get a glimpse of his complicated nature when he walks away from MJ after she professes her love for him. Sequel time!

Raimi did an awesome job directing this monster movie. I thought the computer animation would be a joke, but it worked because of the way the camera is always moving and pulling your complete focus off of the CGI.

Very nice script, nice effects, great casting and acting. I loved it.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-05-2002 06:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
05/05/2002, 12:15PM, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #3, flat, SDDS-8 (YEAH BABY!!). Excellent presentation (better than ArcLight and for only $4.25, not $11.00!! ). Imagine: This fragile print has already been run through one of those antique film-destroying mechanical projector things at least 8 times and it hasn't been ruined yet!! Take that Steven Soderbergh! (Don't tell Steven that reels 4 & 5 both had that wavy rolling line thing for a few seconds, or that reel 5 seemed to have soft focus but the rest of the movie was razor sharp).

I liked it a whole bunch. Worked for me completely. I've never read the comics, didn't know anything about the characters going in, didn't need to. The special effects work great, partly for the reason that Brent mentioned: You're looking at Spidey, not the CGI backgrounds. I think Roger Ebert must have had a boil on his ass or something the day he previewed this because the movie he saw and complained about is not the one I just saw. A perfectly good summer action blockbuster.

Now the question I have is if the box office holds up, is that space movie coming out in a couple weeks going to push Spidey off the best screens too soon? I guess we know the answer to that.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-05-2002 08:05 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the movie had Billy Bob THorton, some well placed nudity, some sitting around on a couch talking or for that matter in bed talking, Ebert would have given it four stars.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-05-2002 08:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All movies should have Billy Bob Thornton. Ebert likes it when people sit on the couch and talk because that's what he does best. You don't see him moving around too much, do you?

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2002 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spiderman pulled in $114 Million (Est.)
This weekend!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: