Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sexy Beast

Author Topic: Sexy Beast
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-27-2002 11:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/27/2002, 7:00PM, My Living Room, Sony 53" 4:3 HDTV-capable RPTV, Sony DirecTV satellite receiver using MPEG compression, S-video connection between receiver and display, nominal 330-line NTSC video resolution. Dolby Pro-Logic Surround. Scope image thoughtfully cropped to 1.33 by DirecTV, so none of those annoying black bars (actually the pan-and-scan didn't look all that bad), and DirecTV allocates enough bandwidth to pay-per-view movies to make them look pretty good. Running time only 1 hour 29 mins.

DirecTV has this classified as a Comedy. ??!! This was a serious, intense film. Ben Kingsley definitely earned his Oscar nomination. Story is about a middle-aged English crook who "retires" to a villa in Spain with his beautiful wife and another couple. One day an old associate, Ben Kingsley, shows up at his door and wants him to do a job. Both couples obviously are deathly afraid of Kingsley, for reasons which quickly become apparent. Kingsley will not take "no" for an answer (kind of like 1-800-555-TELL) and things spiral from there in strange directions. The movie really is riveting. Glad I saw it at home and not at the local art house because the English accents are so thick I had trouble understanding the dialog sometimes; would have been impossible in a theater with less than good sound. Not a conventional heist movie. If you haven't seen this, it's worth checking out for its unique approach to what seems like a familar plot.

Tons-o-profanity and violence, some nudity. Might want to put the kids to bed before you watch it.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 01:35 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kewl... I've had the video screener sitting around for a while. Judging from the title I figured it would be stupid, but now I have a reason to watch it! Thanks for the mini review.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 03:35 AM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for clarification, Sexy Beast was scope

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-28-2002 10:43 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, thanks for the correction! The opening credits looked to be in about 1.85:1 so I assumed flat. This might be Super-35 cause in 1.33 it didn't really look all that cropped. Anyway I fixed that in my original post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: