Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Red Green: Duct Tape Forever

Author Topic: Red Green: Duct Tape Forever
Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 10:13 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theater: Famous Players Langley Colossus 18, Langley, BC; auditorium 2. This theater is not unlike the Famous Players SilverCity 16, posted in the theater picture warehouse. A flat film shown with top and bottom masking open, in a typical small stadium-seating theater. When the movie started, the person sitting in the front section had to get up and move back. 1:20 Saturday showing (second day of release). Attendance for the feature: 6. Those remaining to see the post-credit scene: 1 , not counting the projectionist.

I had always wanted to see a movie in Canada, but since I mostly just go on day trips there it seemed like a waste of trip time to see just any movie that is available in the United States. “Crash” wasn’t my cup of tea, so I had to wait for this movie.

(OT rant: I had a tough time convincing Canadian Customs and Immigration that I just wanted to come see a film, especially since I crossed at eight in the morning. What!? Was I supposed to explain my whole itinerary? How do I explain I wanted to come to Vancouver early to find the parking garage where Jackie Chan’s “Rumble In the Bronx” was filmed in and around? For a change, US Immigrations was actually easier than Canadian Immigration today.)

I did eventually make it through, and saw a movie where bumbling Canadian law enforcement were featured prominently. The movie is a single narrative story based on a sketch television show. A lot of the mechanical inventiveness is missing from the movie, but they do still have lots of double entendre jokes. The slap-stick scenes, except for an electrocution scene, work better than their attempts at serious emotional development, but a sequence where the Possum Lodge members commit mayhem on a nearby town probably plays differently now than it would have back when the scene was written. Of the secondary characters, Grahm Green’s character gets a lot more screen time than he normally gets on the show--a welcome improvement. The movie also has a cameo appearance of all five members of the Royal Canadian Air Farce, a comedy troupe who is now normally down to three regular performers.

It’s maybe not the most significant movie you’ll ever see, but sometimes third place is good enough!

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 12:18 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Green kicks ass. I remember a skit where Red Green is outside building his own "home movie entertainment center" complete with binoculars to make the t.v. look like the big screen and a clunky little speaker attached to a ceiling fan rig for the "surrounds". I guess I'll have to wait until this movie comes out on video because something tells me it's not going to get a big release in the States, and I don't wanna mess with Immigration. That and I'd be coming all the way from Texas. Oh well.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Arthur Allen
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2002 08:40 PM      Profile for Arthur Allen   Author's Homepage   Email Arthur Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the movie will be shown at least once in these cities.

(Looks like Rockwall isn't much closer to Killeen than Langley is to Renton, though. 183 miles.)

I live near city nuber five on the list, but I went out to see it early anyway.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 01:13 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a little info about the Colossus, it is one of the flagship locations for Famous Players theaters here in BC. All THX certified screens, IMAX, it's own bar. It's quite the complex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: