Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » The Other Side of Heaven

Author Topic: The Other Side of Heaven
Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2002 12:27 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is the adaptation of an autobiographical book originally called The Eye of the Storm by John H. Groberg. (Today, you can find the same book with the new title The Other Side of Heaven to help the casual viewer realize it's the same story as the movie.)

John H. Groberg seemed to be a typical, Latter-day Saint young man in the early 1950s. He was from Idaho. He was going to school at BYU. He was planning to serve as a full-time, Mormon missionary and he was in love with a girl whom he'd have to leave behind if he served that mission. All of this is established early in the movie, along with the fact that, indeed, he went on that mission. He was assigned to Tonga and soon found himself in a whole different world than what he had previously known.

I haven't read the book... but I've seen the movie. And the movie seems too much like a book. The first few scenes are like the first few chapters, setting up the rest of the story. The end of the movie is like the last few chapters, wrapping it all up. Every other scene in the middle of the movie plays like its own, self-contained chapter. You could present them in almost any order. As such, the story doesn't really flow. It's a weak adaptation... too loyal to a book's format. {For example, when Elder Groberg first arrives in Tonga he is overwhelmed by biting insects. Five minutes later (and for the rest of the movie) the insects have completely lost their appetite for his flesh.} Nevertheless, the movie still manages to show development among a few, major characters. Even the romance angle between Groberg and his stateside girlfriend remains at play (through letters, narration and dreamy visuals).

While the movie doesn't completely ignore the fact that Groberg is a Latter-day Saint it certainly downplays the "Mormonism" of the characters. This guy could be any generic, Christian missionary going to a strange, faraway land. His struggles with language, culture and health issues are easy to understand. It may be less easy to understand why a guy would leave Anne Hathaway behind in order to enjoy years of painful, missionary opportunities. And the lack of this kind of insight is where the movie version of the book starts to stumble.

About two years ago, a Latter-day Saint filmmaker set out to tell a story of Mormon missionaries in a movie called God's Army. The movie was fiction but God's Army makes no bones about the fact that these guys are Mormons and they are determined to baptize people. A different set of filmmakers made The Other Side of Heaven and, this time, they spent a lot more money than the guy who made God's Army. The "slickness" factor is markedly increased. But they also downplayed the religion and made a bigger fuss about pretty scenery, culture clash, romance and more light-hearted material. The interpersonal conflicts are also a bit too gentle.

For those who've seen both movies, it's impossible not to compare them. But I'd be curious to hear a comparison from average viewers (who don't live in Utah and who don't have particularly strong feelings one way or another about Latter-day Saints and their missionaries). It should be noted that while the people who wrote, directed and produced each of these movies also happen to be members of the church portrayed in the movies, these movies are not made by "the church" in any official manner. (If you want to see a movie made by "The Mormon Church" there's actually a 5-perf 70mm production which plays every day in Salt Lake City and admission is free. That's a whole different review.)

The Other Side of Heaven will play well to Latter-day Saints who may be about the same age as John Groberg. So, expect to see a lot of senior citizens in the theatre. Younger Latter-day Saints may not relate to this movie, however. The way missionary work happened in the 1950s in Tonga is quite a bit different from the way it happens today (even in Tonga). In the years since the 1950s, Groberg has himself become a prominent leader in the Mormon church. Members of the church will certainly want to see his memoirs dramatized for the big screen. They may also go just to see a gentle and non-negative portrayal of their own religion. But the casual viewer will gain little insight into what makes Mormons tick, what they really believe, why they go out of their way to send missionaries to dangerous places where life is difficult, etc.

I believe the movie is rated PG, is 1.85:1 and has Dolby Digital sound. The movie has played well for about four months already in Utah, Idaho and other areas where there may be a large Latter-day Saint population. Even so, I doubt it's been profitable yet. According to reports, the budget was seven million dollars. Considering that there are fewer than six million Mormons in the whole United States, it'll be a tough road to box office success.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-11-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I recall correctly, and I may not, but probably do, the film maker of the film GODS ARMY, Richard Dutcher, was originally slated to film THE OTHER SIDE OF HEAVEN. He was on his way to LA to start it up and on the way, while staying in a cheezy motel in a small town, he was hit with the idea of a different film, BRIGHAM CITY, which won enourmous critical acclaim, and is a fantastic thriller. He passed on HEAVEN and left it to others to do. Thats a good thing, because I thought that HEAVEN was so not that entertaining at all.

Dave

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2002 10:53 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually... that's not what I was told. I had read that Mitch Davis, the man who directed The Other Side of Heaven, had taken a lot of time away from the movie business and was planning a come-back. His friends passed the book The Eye of the Storm to him and he then pursued the chance to direct a movie based on the book. I hadn't heard that Richard Dutcher had anything to do with it. However, I had heard that Dutcher was planning to do another movie (I'm not sure what it was going to be about) when, indeed, he got the idea for Brigham City during a trip through small towns.

I don't know how many people on these forums will really take an interest in any of these homespun, Mormon movie projects but since Evans was requesting format information on The Other Side of Heaven I figured it was time to let the Film-Tech crowd know what this movie was really about.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-12-2002 03:56 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it is true that my information may not be accurate. I got it fourth person, and you know how that gets.

Although, having seen HEAVEN, and the others, and having seen much mormon film drivel, I have to say that Richard Dutcher has a knack for making movies about mormons seem less like movies about mormons, and more like movies that have mormons in them. Much easier to watch and to swallow.

Dave

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-12-2002 09:58 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard's next project will be about Joseph Smith. It is currently in production and titled "The Prophet"

It is easy to thik that he had a hand in "Heaven" because it is distributed by Excel, the company he also uses to distribute films.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-13-2002 04:39 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That could be where the information got switched on me. From what I understand about "THE PROPHET", Dutcher is going to tell a true account telling of the latter years of Joe Smith. That may be very hard to do and still remain a member of the church. They usually tend to not like people to tell the whole truth. As a member myself, I am well aware of the politics involved. I think that his previous films have kind of paved the way for more general acceptance of how he tells his stories.

That isnt to say that Joe Smith was some kind of charleton. In all reality, he truly believed he was doing all the right things, and with the current director in charge, I am quite interested to see how he wants to make the take on this particular human bieng.

Dave

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2002 10:04 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From where I'm sitting, it kinda looks like this:

Excel Entertainment was a music company with no aspirations to be a film distributor until Richard Dutcher needed to reduce his own work load. So, very soon after God's Army appeared in Utah theatres in March 2000, Excel Entertainment took over distribution of the film for him (although Richard stayed very active in promoting the film and appearing at regional premieres for several months).

The people behind The Other Side of Heaven intended to promote their film on the strengths of Gerald Molen, who was one of the producers and who had a reputation in Hollywood. Ultimately, even his reputation wasn't enough and they couldn't find a big distributor so, as a last resort, they settled on the local, Utah distributor (Excel) to get their movie into theatres. They never wanted The Other Side of Heaven to look like a homespun, Mormon project which came out of Utah. None of it was shot in Utah and, in fact, only about four people who worked on the movie were themselves Latter-day Saints. The ambition to "go mainstream" also helps explain the "dumbed down" Mormonism portrayed in the movie.

Again, this is just the way it looks from where I'm sitting. I base this opinion on several facts. I filled in the missing pieces with amphibian DNA.

I have no idea how Richard Dutcher plans to tell the story of Joseph Smith. I'm sure Richard considers himself a fine, faithful Latter-day Saint and most people like his work. However, he has a tendency to really rub certain people the wrong way. He's made a couple of serious behind-the-scenes business errors, according to rumors I've heard. There are a number of behind-the-scenes people in the Utah film community who don't care for him at all... fellow Mormons who want Richard to "get what's coming to him" and become a miserable failure. (...but not me. I've never worked with him and I don't have an ax to grind. From what I can see, he's a great writer and director. I like to support that kind of talent. Perhaps he needs to hire someone else to take care of producer duties and make peace on the business end.)

For better or for worse, Joseph Smith is an epic character. If Richard Dutcher wants to tell that story in a "flat" format and keep it under 4 hours then something's just not going to seem complete. I wonder what he will be able to accomplish.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-14-2002 06:43 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true that Richard Dutcher has developed a reputation in the mormon community as one who seems to be not all he says he is. He is a very devout mormon but tells stories that do not aspire to be what most devout members seem to think he should be telling. Most devout members want clean cut stories that do the happy dance from beginning to end.

I know several people in the theater and acting community that know him very well, and he is very highly regarded amongst them, and they love his work. Most of the acting community that are very tight and devout members actually are much more daring in life, as that is what acting requires.

I think that in time Dutcher is going to find his niche but it wont be here in utah. He will end up bieng one of the greater directors know to man, as his work is honest and thorough. Anyone who has seen his films know that he is NOT a mormon filmmaker, but rather a filmmaker that happens to be mormon, and THAT I think is what irks many in that he wont tell stories from the standpoint of bieng mormon, but rather instead just telling stories period.

From where you are standing, I agree with you. He has his difficulties, and hopefully gets them all patched up somehow. It is hard to live in Utah as a anything but a devout and blindly follower of the church without getting some flack for breathing the wrong way. I know of this myself, but like he, I don't just complain about it, I just strive on and do my thing.

Dave

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: