Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Big Trouble

Author Topic: Big Trouble
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 11:18 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
04/06/2002, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #8, 7:20PM, flat, probably DTS. Attendance about 30. Very good presentation (but the analog-sound trailers were distorted).

Based on Dave Barry's book (which I haven't read). There are usually about as many laughs in one of his 3-minute columns as there are in this 90-minute movie. Wants to be a wacky comedy, but was only mildly amusing at best. Maybe you have to live in Miami to appreciate some of the jokes. Makes fun of poor airport security, involves sneaking a nuclear weapon aboard a plane, and the plane is in danger of being shot down by fighter jets. Hence why the movie's release was delayed.

|  IP: Logged

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 02:06 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Totally off the subject of the actual movie here. The CinemaWorld 8 - is that theatre holding up? I was the liasion when I worked for Regal - during the Act III takeover. It is a beautiful theatre in a beautiful town. I hope they are taking care of it. Is it still all THX????

------------------
"Running through life at 24 frames per second"

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2002 11:47 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis, Right after Regal took it over from Act III, they dropped the THX certification, so it's been years since it was THX.

It is indeed a very nice theater, and lately Regal is maintaining it well (I think things have improved in the last few months). It's always spotlessly clean, staff is very pleasant. After Cinemark 17 opened in Springfield, Cinema World's business dropped way off. I'll bet they were down way more than 50%. I really thought they wouldn't be able to hold on. Recently though things seem to have picked up somewhat for them, but still nothing like it was before Cinemark 17 opened. Saturday night for example, they were just not all that busy.

It's frustrating when something isn't right there because their projection and sound systems all seem to be first-class. When everything is spot-on, their sound blows Cinemark out of the water. I think Cinema World is all-EV speakers, and they sound a lot more "punchy" with greater detail and clarity than whatever Cinemark is using (Peavey?). Or maybe it's the EQ or the processors, I don't know, but Cinemark's sound is very bland in comparison (though good, just not as good).

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-08-2002 08:01 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think i read somwhere that Peavey puts together the CineMark systems.

Anyway - Mabey it was because i was sleep deprived - I couldn't stop laughing throughout "Big Trouble."

Neil Hunter
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2002 12:00 AM      Profile for Neil Hunter   Email Neil Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David and Mike,
I can't speak for any of the older Cinemark theaters, but the one in my area(built in '99) has Crown amplifiers and JBL speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: