Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » High Crimes

Author Topic: High Crimes
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-06-2002 04:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4/6/2002, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, #4, 11:35AM, scope, SR-D. Attendance about 75. The screen-left audio channel was completely dead until about 10 mins. before the movie ended, when it suddenly popped on. I noticed exactly the same problem in this auditorium on 3/10, with All About The Benjamins. Reported it then, will report it again. Presentation would have rated a very good except for that.

Yahoo's plot synopsis: "A happily married, successful female lawyer [Ashley Judd] is shocked to learn that her husband [James Caviezel] has a hidden past as a classified military operative, and is accused of committing a heinous war crime. She must wrestle with her own doubts about his guilt as she defends him, with the help of a private investigator [Morgan Freeman, and he's an attorney, not a P.I.], in a top-secret military court where none of the rules she knows so well apply."

The thing about Ashley Judd is she often comes across on screen as someone who is acting. Or maybe it's more like emoting. She may be easy on the eyes, but sometimes it's like she ruins certain scenes because she's playing for the camera. James Caviezel is fine. Likewise Morgan Freeman, though this role was not a stretch for him at all -- take the money and run I guess. The plot seemed to kind of wander around sometimes, not well-focused. They also toy with the audience by setting up scenes where someone seems to be in imminent danger and then it turns out to be nothing. I hate it when they do that, especially repeatedly. And there were a couple scenes that seemed out of place or pointless.

The movie doesn't suck, but I wouldn't give it a very high recommendation.

|  IP: Logged

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2002 04:49 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed the film. I won't give away the ending, but it defeated its purpose. Oh well, it was a pretty good ride.

I'm not a sound mixing expert, but there were a couple of court room scenes where the background noise (court room chatter) was really excessive and irritating.

Brad Haven
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2002 10:40 AM      Profile for Brad Haven   Email Brad Haven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After the first 5 mins, i honestly had the whole film worked out and believe me... i never try to, as i WANT to be suprised!.
All the performances were by the book, but not great! .
I went in to this film not knowing much about it and left not wanting to remember it.
Didn't this guy direct the film "one false move", if he did, he's gone down hill!.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2002 02:36 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl Franklin did direct 'One False Move'...also 'Devil in a Blue Dress' with Denzel Washington.

Yes, 'High Crimes' is a bit disappointing after the energy that went into 'One False Move'.

------------------
'How about a movie? They're showing them in theatres now! I hear it's like watching a video with a bunch of strangers and a sticky floor.' - Xander Harris, from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: