Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The 20th Anniversary

Author Topic: E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, The 20th Anniversary
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2002 07:18 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When ET first came out, it was not one of my favorite Spielberg films. I probably feel the same way today, except I appreciate how well this film iconified things we take for granted today. For that reason, I am glad that Spielberg made ET.

John Williams, who won an Oscar for ET, really deserves a lot of the credit I think for the movie's success. He must have put in a lot of overtime on this score. There is scoring everywhere. Thankfully it was memorable.

I'm not sure why this film doesn't seem as sharp as other Spielberg films, yet it is Spielberg. Things seem protracted. Things seem to occur, that have no explanation. Why is it when we first see the cute little kids around the dinner table, there is cigarette smoke coming up like this was the poker game in "Risky Business"? When the kid is trying to unattach the chute on the back of the speeding van, why does it take him so long? How come the men in the chute, who are standing up, not able to get in before being disattached?

Despite these anomalies, the movie has to be seen on the big screen to really be appreciated to its fullest. Spielberg made excellent casting choices for the lead roles, but the extras didn't look like they came from central casting. Was this a low budget film for Spielberg? The scenes in Elliot's bedroom were shot terrific and it is there that we come to love the kids and ET. Kudos to Elliot (Henry Thomas) and Gertie (Drew Barrymore) for making their roles memorable.

And then there is the bike chase scene. What kid who owns a bike wouldn't love being chased by cops, jumping hills and police cars, all to the accompaniment of that John Williams score? And if you can believe, like in "Peter Pan", you can fly.

Like me, even if you didn't get it the first go round, it is worth your time. I enjoyed it more than some of the new films coming out today. Here's to hoping that ET comes home for his 40th anniversary.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-31-2002 03:19 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like ET when I showed it on it's initial release 20 years ago, and I like it less now on it's butchered version. Here is hoping that people realize it was junk when it was made and it's success was a fluke!

One thing I do agree with Mitchell with is that Henry Thomas did an excellent job and was the best part of the film.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2002 09:27 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve...
ET go home.
I think Dizney ought to sue for copyright infringement on Old Yeller

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-02-2002 07:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fluke?? I think not, not when the movie is on many critics' "best of all time" lists, is one of the top grossing movies in history, was nominated for Best Picture, grossed over half-a-billion dollars and is one of the best-selling videos of all time.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2002 07:23 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have a scanner so I cannont post the cartoon I have that shows how ET got his long neck--the toilet seat fell on his pecker while he was givin a leak !

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2002 01:15 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good presentation emthusiasts should note that the film has a magnificent new opening.

The silent Universal now has glorious, multi channel music. The first few bars of Jerry Goldsmiths Universal fanfare blends into John Williams "Flying" theme as the legendary silhouette of boy, bike and alien glide across our planet. And the words "ET 20th Aniversary" appear.

Thrilling.

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike some of you, E.T. was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I was seven or eight when I was a kid and I remember seeing it once in the theater and then again at the drive-in. I really loved that movie, but I refuse to see the newly butchered version. I wouldn't have a huge problem if they simply added some extra footage or even used more modern technology to imporve some special effects, a la the star wars trilogy, although I do have some problems with that also. However, taking out the guns and the like is foolish and unfair. I really am disgusted with actions like this and those of Disney as they try to rewrite and deny their own history.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2002 11:18 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: That opening music is on all mainstream Universal releases in the U.S. beginning with Spy Game.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-03-2002 11:33 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with them tweaking things 20 years after the fact, as long as the original is preserved and offered, as is being done with the DVD of ET.

I first saw ET at a sneak preview in Costa Mesa, CA (Edwards Town Center Cinema, in garden-variety 35mm and optical Dolby Stereo). The advance buzz on the movie was huge, and expectations were very high. We stood in line for several hours to ensure getting good seats. At the end of the show, the audience exited in a sort of stunned silence. Many people were openly emotional. When the general run started and 70mm prints were showing all over SoCal, I saw it several more times, and usually to packed houses, even several months after it opened. It was truly a phenomenon unlikely to happen again. Times may have changed, people are more cynical about such things, but there is no denying that ET captured some very special magic. I have no desire to see the re-issue though because I want to remember it exactly the way it was 20 years ago and what it was like seeing it with an audience back then.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2002 12:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I must say that new Universal intro is just plain disgusting. It is nothing more than Universal's sleazy attempt to turn their logo time into yet another commercial. It's fine to put it ON "E.T.", but leave it off of other movies.

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2002 05:26 PM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Brad. It's your site so I suppose you are entitled to be opinionated but I DO find some of your comments tactless and downright rude.

And Charles, I do think you'll find the musical Universal logo at the start of ET (20th Aniversary) unique to that film.

The Jerry Goldsmith fanfare has introduced most Universal Pictures since, I think, The Lost World.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-03-2002 08:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I don't believe I said anything like "you must be an idiot if you liked that Universal intro". I am entitled to my opinion just as much as anyone else. You wrote your opinion of the logo and I wrote mine. If you don't like what I have to say or the way I say it, just leave or skip over my posts, for I am not going to sugar coat my comments just to soothe you. No one is forcing you to post or read what is written here. Get it?

Before you post again on this site you need to read the final paragraph in the FAQ. Email me once you have read and understand this.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-04-2002 12:22 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC 'Spy Game' is the only other Universal title that has the 'E.T.' logo on it.

-Aaron

Christopher Finn
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 04:28 AM      Profile for Christopher Finn   Email Christopher Finn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, is is on "Big Fat Liar," also.

Chris

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2002 05:07 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks Charles, Chris and Aaron.

I stand corrected. Spy Game had a different distributor in the UK so the Universal/ET logo didn't appear.

We haven't had the pleasure of Big Fat Liar yet.

Kind regards,

Frank.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: