Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Death To Smoochy

Author Topic: Death To Smoochy
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-29-2002 04:21 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
03/29/2002, Cinemark 17, Springfield OR, 11:30AM, #10, flat, SR-D. Attendance about 25. Very good presentation.

Robin Williams is TV kid show star Rainbow Randolph. Off-camera he's a foul-mouthed corrupt creep with serious mental problems. His show gets booted off the network due to his "issues". Edward Norton, who plays good-hearted Smoochy the Rhino, replaces him. So you can figure from the name of the movie what the rest of the story is about. Along the way we get Danny DeVito as Smoochy's agent, Irish mobsters, and other assorted colorful characters.

This is a dark, offbeat, sometimes vile movie where everyone in it is trying very hard. But nothing clicked for me. Other people in the audience seemed to find the forced humor very amusing though. The funniest bit in the movie for me was Smoochy's song about step-dads. Heh heh. That one made me laugh. The rest of it was either not funny or just strange. Robin Williams should know better by now.

Not for kids.

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2002 12:29 AM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw it tonight. It was an odd movie. Danny Devito is a great actor, he should stick to acting. The movie seemed to jump around a bit. Nothing really seemed to stand out, it was a very dark humor. My girlfriend loved it who doesn't analyze movies and I liked it. I'd recomend it for someone that just wants to relax and not think too much, and maybe laugh some too.

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-07-2002 04:19 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? you mean that this movie is only good for people who dont use thier brains? Are you saying your girlfriend is brainless?

You know, going to see a movie is SUPPOSED to be fun.

IF you want to spend time analyzing things, try therapy.

REALLY THOUGH, I plan on seeing the film though, based on the fact that you say I dont need to analyze the film to enjoy it. I spend way too much time analyzing important things like the middle east and the republican party.

Dave

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2002 11:36 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, better go see it quick. Smoochy is already doubled-up, with ET here, only 2 shows a day, and this is only its 2nd week.

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2002 12:06 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Williams, I think you need to relax. You totally misunderstood my review of the movie. Most movies do have a lot of symbolism. Just listen to the director's commentary of almost any DVD. All I'm saying is that this movie wasn't one, it seemed pretty staight foward.

Also, my girlfriend is an honor student. Please don't try to put words in my mouth.

Daniel

------------------
3% Body Fat. 1% Brain Activity.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 10-19-2002 04:46 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel, I apologize for my remarks. They were very crude and not necessary.

I have seen the movie. About twenty times. My girlfriend and I watch this at least once a week, and sometimes more. We just love the very dark humor, which fits my own.

Once in the sixth grade, we had our school play. It was written by our teacher and it was called "Countries of the World". Each of us picked a country, and we had to dress up like that country, and then we formed this sort of a UN thing on stage for our parents, and each of us rattled off pre approved lines about our country.

That is until my country came up. Although Italian, I picked Germany. See where I am going with this? I got up, and instead of my lines, I yelled out in a german accent "I AM GERMANY! I INVADED POLAND!"

I love dark humor, and have since I was a wee one. So it worked for me. Problem is, MOST people cannot stand this dark a film as a comedy, and NOBODY should spend the money they did, FIFTY FREEKIN MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Probably on the sets!

But I did love the film, part of my eternal collection. It is not for everyone, in fact probably not for most.

Dave

Daniel Boisson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-22-2002 12:11 PM      Profile for Daniel Boisson   Email Daniel Boisson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, no problem...I was probably in a bad mood or something, cause I usually don't go off like that.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: