Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Sorority Boys

Author Topic: Sorority Boys
Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2002 11:20 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/03/23 16:05, Regal Hollywood 18, Huntsville, AL, Auditorium 6, Flat (no adjustable masking)

I went into this movie expecting it to be a lot of fun, since the idea of guys dressing up as girls and doing anywhere near a convincing job of it is both humorous and interesting to me. One review I read said it was consistently funny all the way through. After that, I was a bit let down by it. The movie seemed more dumb than anything else. I think they could have done a much better job on this movie than they did. The guys came nowhere close to being able to impersonate girls and get away with it in real life. Maybe that was part of the "joke" of the whole movie. Anyone that got as intimate with them as some of the characters did in this movie would certainly be able to tell the difference, unless the "cartoon" mentality is in place here, such as characters in a cartoon not being able to distinguish Bugs Bunny from Daffy Duck wearing a rabbit costume.

On whether to recommend this or not, I'm right on the edge, unable to put in a recommendation or to not recommend it. It's like a coin toss where the coin lands on its edge and does not fall.

Heck, when I'm clean shaven, with my long hair, I'll bet I could look better as a chick than either of the three guys trying to do so in that movie.

The presentation quality was good, with nothing causing any major distractions. There were no more than 10 people, if that many, in this showing. Of course, 4:00ish showings don't always draw many people.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-24-2002 11:22 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert's review said something like "Sorority Boys will easily be the worst movie playing in any multiplex in the country this weekend, and that takes into account Crossroads which is still playing." Heh heh.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 01:13 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. It outgrossed E.T. at my theatre, and it was in a smaller house....

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 01:27 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can't do any worse than ROLLERBALL.

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2002 01:46 AM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Rollerball was definitly a POS.

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2002 11:06 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday at lunch, I was with a group of friends and coworkers and I told them that last Saturday night, I saw "Sorority Boys". One guy replied, "I'm sorry." I guess that pretty well sums up most people's opinion of this movie. It's funny that the only review I could find on Friday was a positive one. Now, I've read several others and have not seen another positive one.

It would have been fun to get a group of my guy friends to all dress up in drag or at least in some feminine articles of clothing and go see that movie, just as a joke, like some of my friends did back when "Spice World" came out. I couldn't get anyone interested in doing it, though. I guess I have a more conservative group of friends than I used to have.

At least "Sorority Boys" was better than "Rollerball".

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: