Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » Time Machine

Author Topic: Time Machine
Josh Kirkhart
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 08:14 AM      Profile for Josh Kirkhart   Email Josh Kirkhart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but I do not recommend this to anyone. The exception would be to see the time traveling sequences.
Time Machine must make all its cash this weekend, before the news gets too far.
The movie feels like it is missing 30-40 minutes of storytelling. Too many questions linger after viewing about things that should have been explained or touched upon.
It has a great score though, well atleast before he awakens in the jungle, then its all lion king smoothness. The score grabs you before the logos are over, very good.

|  IP: Logged

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 02:36 PM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Right.

I found it moving REALLY FAST. With this type of movie, I was expecting a slow beginning, but it just jumped into the story.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2002 11:36 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, its a dog. The original is much better and more interesting. This version goes on forever, without really going anywhere. Matting was cheesy, CGI iffy, storyline boring. Need I go on? Total letdown, and I was really excited about seeing it. One good point.....lots of sub bass!

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2002 05:31 AM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
im glad we all agree that this movie is ass. my flat mate was all pissed at the ending because even after guy learned that he couldnt change the past; he was able to change it anyway. i didnt agree on where he was commin from on that one. he was saying that when he went into the future at the end and then went back again that he went into the past and changed it. i thought he was being a bit too technical about the whole thing, but i didnt argure about it because the movie didnt explain anything to begin with. sakes.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-09-2002 05:59 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
03/09/2002, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, 12:30PM, #4, scope. About 40 people in attendance. Excellent presentation, and in particular the sound was fantastic. On the way out I talked to the manager, asked what format it's playing in. Turns out to be SDDS. She says they've been using SDDS as their preferred format at this location for all big "effects" movies for the last few months, starting with Lord of the Rings. She also said they are in line for upgrade to SDDS-8 in the 2 largest auditoriums, and when that happens they will start specifically advertising 8-channel sound in their newspaper ads. This is going to be a counterattack against Cinemark 17, who has stolen much of Regal's business. So it appears SDDS-8 will be used as a marketing tool against their only real competitor. The mgr. says they are trying hard to consistently beat Cinemark in the presentation department, and my recent experiences here bear out that things have indeed improved.

The main problem I had with the film was Guy Pearce. What were they thinking? That issue aside, I kind of liked the movie, but it's definitely flawed. It's like the screenplay needed another draft, or they didn't have the necessary footage during editing to make everything work. Most of the special effects were good. The time machine as a movie prop was pretty cool. With someone like Ewan McGregor (sp?) in the lead role, the holes might not have seemed so gaping. But it didn't suck, and I wasn't looking at my watch, so on some level it kind of worked.

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2002 09:43 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Attendance: 2002/03/13 19:00, Carmike Century Cinema 8, Decatur, AL, Auditorium 1, Scope

I have mixed feelings about this remake. I agree with some of the comments already made and have some assorted comments to add. The first thing I noticed is much of the mathematics put on the board seemed to be gibberish. He seemed to write various symbols used in mathematical formulas and equations in random order that made no sense. I say this as a computer scientist with degree in mathematics also!

This newfangled time machine, while appropriate in this day of science fiction movies and computer generated everything, lacks the wonderful charm of the original time machine used in the 1960 version. I'd love to have a small replica of the 1960 one for a conversation piece.

The morlocks were much scarier in this version. They were much uglier and were much stronger and more physically capable than their 1960 counterparts. They were much more aggressive, coming up and attacking and hunting rather than luring them into their part of the world. The underworld in this version was much uglier and more grotesque than in the 1960 version. In the 1960 version, we just get a quick glimpse to get the point of the cannabalism thing, while in this version, we get dumped into their equivalent of sewage, with bones floating in it. By the way, do bones actually float? I can't remember.

I guess it made sense to replace the nuclear war of the 1960s that never happened with something later and much more bizarre.

The computer software that ran the "librarian" was an interesting concept, although I doubt that any manmade computer technology or data storage technology could last 800000 years. Then there is the issue of how the system survived the moon disaster and the evolution of two species, and ... oh well... That's Hollywood.

I enjoyed it, but I think I liked the 1960 version better.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2002 10:17 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, I'm pretty sure there are two releases of this film out there. The one most of you saw and the one I just saw.
I liked it.
It was not the original and therefore not as charming. But I think it stood well on it's own. Had I never seen the George Pal version, I would be very happy with this one.
Spoilers
A couple of things that I didn't like. They didn't spend enough time on the Uber Morlock and the time traveler lost his time machine at the end. In fact they could have added another 15-30 minutes on in the Eloi time and I would have enjoyed it. I think it might have been a little better if they would have added something like the 3 book "hook" at the end like the G Pal version.
I was actually relieved when it was over as I feared another let down like POTA. Seeing the commercials on TV I feared that it would be a cheesy CGI cartoon fest, like SW1, which was not the case.
It was presented in DTS that came off without a hitch and had some nice surround action. I saw this film at the Regal Poulsbo 10 which seems to specialize in underlit screens that you can see the arc wiggling on. It's in scope.
Go see it

------------------
Greg Mueller
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut
http://www.muellersatomics.com/

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 07:58 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
POTA?
Jog my memory on that one.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-17-2002 09:06 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planet of the Apes?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep POTA, Planet Of The Apes

------------------
Greg Mueller

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 09:46 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Yah...
Guy Pearce the "time traveler" was also the guy with the goofed up memory in "Momento"

------------------
Greg Mueller

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2002 01:05 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planet of the Apes.....
"The sound you don't hear is me slapping myself on the head"
CRS syndrom you know.

Peter Berrett
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 01:14 AM      Profile for Peter Berrett   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Berrett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans

A slight diversion off-topic. When you saw "A Beautiful Mind" did the main character's mathematical notes and jottings (as featured in the film) make any sense?

One would have thought that with all the money spent on these films that they would try and make the formulae look authentic.

cheers Peter

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2002 09:44 AM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A slight diversion off-topic. When you saw "A Beautiful Mind" did the main character's mathematical notes and jottings (as featured in the film) make any sense?

I haven't seen it yet. Some people told me it was depressing, and I haven't gone to see it yet because I haven't had an evening where I was in the mood to be depressed.

------------------
Evans A Criswell
Huntsville-Decatur Movie Theatre Information Site

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: