Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film Handlers' Movie Reviews   » We Were Soldiers

Author Topic: We Were Soldiers
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 03-02-2002 06:57 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
03/02/02, 12:00 noon, Regal Cinema World 8, Eugene OR, #4, scope, probably DTS. About 25 people in attendance. Would have been a near-flawless presentation except the surround channels were missing for the first 45 mins. I reported the problem about 15 mins. into the show, they eventually got them working. I asked about it afterwards, they said there was a breaker turned off on the rear panel of the projector. ?

This is a slightly more Hollywoodized war movie than Black Hawk Down, but there are similarities, in that it follows a specific group of people through a battle campaign that actually occurred. I say Hollywoodized because they also tried to tell the story of the soldiers' wives and families back home. The film recounts one of the earliest major battles the Americans took part in in Vietnam. The war action is very realistic and horrific, quite gory and sometimes difficult to watch. Mel Gibson is the commander leading the men into battle, and he's good in the role, although in all his movies, sometimes I detect a little of the goofy Lethal Weapon side of him showing through. Barry Pepper deserves special mention as the army photographer who goes along for the ride and finds himself involved in a little more than just taking pictures.

The sound mix (with the surrounds working) also deserves special mention. Very involving, well done. The print was beautiful but kind of grainy (Super 35 blowup maybe?).

There have been so many good war movies in recent years, this one among them, that I have a hard time figuring out what else Hollywood can do with this genre without just repeating itself (which it is basically already doing anyway).

------------------
- dave
Look at this! His chin strap has been cut!

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 03-10-2002 09:59 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it today(March 10, 2002) at west acres 14 in Fargo, ND. I enjoyed the movie and thought it was quite good. I did not notice any real grain, but the house I was in only had the bottom half of the screen in focus so who knows. the framing was also off, inboard emulsion scratching, very poor analog sound, and the digital prescreen adds were actually brighter than the movie. now that is sad.

------------------
"Film is made of silver, video is made of rust"
'nuf said

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: